LegacyGT.com

Uninsured f...., write off, car wont start now?

LegacyCamper

Seriously why do people drive a car and not just spend a few dollars a week on third party insurance?

Some countries its compulsory.

I think it is in Australia to get your rego?

Anyway the Mrs is really upset, its her car and she was driving.

Sitting at the lights turning left 3 cars in front. Some idiot with little english on the phone hits my Mrs who is lucky last at 60ph/50mph ish. Didnt brake, nothing. Didnt see the red lights or the 4 cars. And as it so stereotyipically turns out he has no insurance. Id say he was 25ish.

His car came out better. Our tow ball pierced his radiator but thats the only damage I could see. But we had a 4wd in front who had a tire on the back door. Its done the mose damaged. Caved the bonnet and turned it into a triangle shape, by the looks has moved the frame the radiator joins too and his exhaust has gone through our plastics.

Anyway our insurance is saying write off (I dont think it is as the paint shop put down radiator, which is not leaking). Anyway they will only pay 75% due to what they call depreciation. That would not upset me much as its only worth $2500. What upsets me is we just put a new exhaust and $600 of new tyres (with an alignment) on just 2000km ago (50k garuntee on the tyres). Anyway cost $1300 all up to get last road worthy just a couple months back. Car has had oil and filter changed ever 5000km since new, its been well looked after and at 230000km showing no signs of major issues. Just really sad when you treat your car well and some nimrod writes it off because he wants to call his (i want to say it) while he is driving with no insurance.

Anyway I could drive the car home, no issue.

But for some reason the battery has gone flat, the car door/alarm button wont work and it wont start when manually opening the car. Check the inside lights. Nup its dead.

Could anyone please help out with some ideas on what would cause the flat battery, my Mrs is really upset and we are in a secure garage so it has to start if they want to tow it.

I really wish I had kept the old tyres. Least we could have got $150 odd used for the new ones even though they worth a lot more.

If you are getting rid of it, all you need to do is get the car in neutral. Good insurance companies will compensate for recent work done to the car. I'm having a hard time deciphering anything else you said, perhaps because I need sleep.

Yes down here, to register your car, you have to pay third party insurance. That's for third party though, your wife was a second party? Insurance company writing off the car is as expected, they'll go with what costs the least for them. Agreed value, while costing more, means you'll get a price you want (less excess) instead of market value. But it varies from company to company.

As for your electrical issue, might be a short as a result of the crash. Could be anywhere really (immobiliser box, some wiring somewhere that's shorting something, etc.).

id really like to post the names of the insurers and assessors because we are so frustrated, we were told 3 days. tomorrow is a week. they are not communicating. assesors are saying they put the car on a parts site to see what its worth etc, but the insurer said the assessment should have been done immediately upon taking photos and an assessment written up. we stuck in the middle.

Archived