LegacyGT.com

problems with KYB struts

Hey all, I keep blowing out my rear struts on my 06 OBXT. The struts are for an 04 which apparently is popular but this is my second set in a year. Would I be better off getting a set for my year Outback and get some king springs for the rear?

When I had my Outback lifted, I ran the same year KYBs with King springs. I had them installed for about 2.5 years and when I took them off, I did have one leaking rear shock.

Honestly, not as bad as what your dealing with but they were brand new when I installed them so I thought it was odd that one was leaking badly. Maybe try switching over the to 05-09 spec'd models.

The 04 spec has different damping than the '05-09 version. Physically they are the same and there is no reason for the struts to be blowing twice in one year.

Are you rallying on weekends?

The KYBs are reported to be of better build quality than the OEMs so I don't think going with OEMs will get you more life.

I would think if there is a binding issue causing it to blow you would see suspension wear and have handling problems. Did you put them on or a shop? The should be warrantied if less than a year. See if you can find any mechanical binding in the suspension.

Are the seals blown and the struts leaking or just handling like poop?

Peace,

Greg

The 04 spec has different damping than the '05-09 version. Physically they are the same and there is no reason for the struts to be blowing twice in one year.

Are you rallying on weekends?

The KYBs are reported to be of better build quality than the OEMs so I don't think going with OEMs will get you more life.

I would think if there is a binding issue causing it to blow you would see suspension wear and have handling problems. Did you put them on or a shop? The should be warrantied if less than a year. See if you can find any mechanical binding in the suspension.

Are the seals blown and the struts leaking or just handling like poop?

Peace,

Greg

nope, I dont rally it, I drive it through the city with some rough roads but nothing crazy, nothing a shock shouldnt handle.

I installed them but I am a former mechanic.

Thinking about forking over the extra money for Bilsteins

the 04 rear strut is slightly longer body than the 05-09 IIRC (at least this was definitely the case with the non-outback models). Struts have an ideal range of travel and needs a certain amount of static weight. You may not be doing that with your setup. The multi-link rear suspensions geometry from the 04 vs. 05 is just different enough to make them prematurely wear.

overload springs with spacers are probably a better bet.

• 1 year later...

Gonna revive this thread here.

Recently replaced all 4 of my struts with KYB ones on my 2008 Legacy 2.5i.

One of the rears started leaking within 3 hours of the install and test drive. Came out to a huge puddle in the rear and clunking now. The car is a highway driven daily driver that never sees offroad abuse.

Nov 2017 I put on 4 Legacy struts with H&R springs and after 2 months I started hearing a clunk. Shop took it off and said the top hat nut/strut threads are stripped and won't tighten.

Otherwise they have been fine. I'm no mechanic and may have over tightened them. Didn't go crazy on them though.

KYB is not what they used to be. I took 125k factory shocks off the rear of my gf's Mazda 6 and replaced with KYB....oem shocks rebounded much quicker. I regret putting on the KYB's but she doesn't notice much difference so I accept it.

Archived