LegacyGT.com

Subaru won't start

So I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy with a 2.5i and for the past couple weeks there was a strange vacuum leak sound coming from the right side of the engine near the A/C. I decided to take the belt off to see if it was the compressor but it still was making the noise without the belt. I found that it only makes the noise when it is idling and the car is warm.

Yesterday I was messing with the intake manifold and found that moving the manifold changes the sound and if you move it just enough the sound would go away.

A couple minutes later I decided to take the car for a drive and found that around 1,000-2,000 rpms it would stutter and almost stall out. No lights were going off or anything abnormal besides that.

I decided to take it home and right when I got in the driveway it completely died and now I can't get it start. It won't turn over or make a noise or anything. When I put the key in the ON position the temp light alternates between red and blue instead of going from red to steady blue. I read this could be an electrical issue but I can't find any information about it online.

Please let me know what you guys think. I would prefer not to take it to the dealer because I just spent $3,000 last month replacing the head gasket and timing belt and I was not too fond on the job they did.

Thanks,

Kevin

Very odd indeed.

I would disconnect the battery for at least 30-90minutes, let all the electronics (including BIU, ECU, TCU, EPB) reset and discharge, then see if she will start up.

Might us well trickle charge the battery too to say 75-100% capacity while at it (or if you opt to disconnect it overnight).

The blue red light paytern you describe is likely caused by the BIU malfunction.

Normally it should only come up when the BIU puts the ECU or TCU into test mode for reflashing.

The car should at least crank at this point.

Very odd indeed.

I would disconnect the battery for at least 30-90minutes, let all the electronics (including BIU, ECU, TCU, EPB) reset and discharge, then see if she will start up.

Might us well trickle charge the battery too to say 75-100% capacity while at it (or if you opt to disconnect it overnight).

The blue red light paytern you describe is likely caused by the BIU malfunction.

Normally it should only come up when the BIU puts the ECU or TCU into test mode for reflashing.

The car should at least crank at this point.

I actually did forget to mention that I did disconnect the battery yesterday morning before all this happened to see if a reset would do anything about the sound. I did drive it after having the battery disconnected and it seemed to run fine. It was after messing with the intake manifold that all this started to happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Could be that something is loose or damaged, and you have a sizable vacuum leak that opens up when the intake moves a certain way. I'd say do what Perscitus suggested and disconnect the battery for a bit, then see if it'll crank- could be that it's refusing to crank as a protective measure if it's running really lean due to a vacuum leak. If it starts up, I'd start spraying with a can of ether and see if you can find a leak somewhere.

Archived