LegacyGT.com

12.9 mpg on 2005 legacy GT

Hi,

I just bought a 2005 legacy GT 5speed auto two days ago. I was driving today and i resetted the mpg computer right after i filled up and i've already put about 32 miles on it and the computer is reading 12.9 mpg. Is this even possible. Am i driving the car too hard to get this kind of gas mileage? I know there have been ton's on post's on this topic but i'm just concerned about this.

Thanks

Sounds normal to me. Driving highway for about 130 miles, my display read 28.4 mpg. On my lunch break the next day, I filled the tank, reset the trip meter and averaged 8.4 when I got back to the office.

It was a fun ride though. :)

i filled up and i've already put about 32 miles on it

You cant really expect to get an accurate average mileage reading after only travelling 32 miles. Also like the other guys said, you have to break it in.

Be patient and be happy you didnt buy an RX-8.

You cant really expect to get an accurate average mileage reading after only travelling 32 miles. Also like the other guys said, you have to break it in.

Very true. After you reset the Odometer the avrg MPG will change very drastically in the first 100 miles. The less milage the more drastic the change will be. After breakin on the hwy you will see in the 20's without a doubt. I have about 2500 miles on my trip odo right now. At stage 2 I avrg about 23mpg according to the dash display.

Ditto,,,Hell,,,32 miles isn't even warmed up:lol:

Rudy

ps,my car has 1400 miles on it,,on a highway trip I got 25 mpg, around town I get about 21/22 mpg.Now if my left foot gets heavy,,,,,,,,;)

go for a nice long road trip, it'll bring mpg up and help your "break-in" period pass sooner. i don't think you should be using the manumatic too much yet cause if you're breaking in don't you wanna keep the revs lower for the most part? no need to red-line it yet.

Is it because the way i'm driving or is it because the computer isn't quite accurate?

The counter is very inaccurate. If you pay attention, you'll notice that the average mpg can only change in increments of 0.3.

switch the carputer display to real-time gas mileage. then you will see clearly that the instantaneous mileage really sucks whenever you are accelerating away from a stop. Unless you take a minute to reach 30 mph, the mileage is in the low single digits. So when you are doing city driving with lots of stops-n-gos, the gas mileage goes to hell. get on the highway for a while and watch the real-time display fluctuate between high teen's to low-30's. It goes way up when you let off the gas.

To get a better gauge of long term, swap to trip B by a brief push of the trip button. I only reset this one on oil changes so I have an idea over 5k mile increments. Trip A gets reset with each tank.
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Archived