LegacyGT.com

how badly will my engine run if i remove the snorkus?

i have an '11 outback 2.5i. i am going to mount a winch and so i will have to move my HID lights (i like them and do not wanna get rid of them). my question is if i remove the intake silencer how poorly will my engine run? will i get a CEL? here's a pic of my front end currently 13510785_10205257193829531_5050717908464197718_n.jpg?oh=63fb172f8b6556df273f715a41e9a336&oe=57F57163

why not, i like my car

Hey man, so I was bored and took out the air box below the filter and and little silencer thing about 2 weeks ago... I just used the air box and cut plastic to cover the holes and jb welded them back on... So far no cel. No issues... Motor sounds deeper which is what I was going for...

Anything before the filter :) however you want to route air in is fine the issues start once you move the MAF closer or further away and/or alter the flow from the MAF to the TB. I've seen Baja and OB with land cruiser snorkels mounted and they simply used a elbows to plum it to a modified stock air box.

They cut the blub off the bottom and connected to the opening.

As long as what you want to remove is pre-filter you'll be fine. However you'll have a decent sized hole in the top of the air box that's pulling in hot engine air. Nothing the ECU can't compensate for but something to think about. I wouldn't be worried about CELs for pre-filter mods. Really only a concern if you're modifying the intake tubing around the MAF sensor.

You may get more crap in the filter since it'll be open and it's close to the grill so plan on replacing that more frequently. I have a 3.6r and I removed the milk jug silencer from the bottom of the air box and haven't had any negative effect, since this hole is facing downwards it's not really sucking anything up from inside the fender well, but if you're opening up that area then that's another thing to think about.

Perhaps a custom intake box and filter would be best if you want to remove both and not have to worry about filters.

just gotta figure out something to plug that hole. i frequently go offroad so i definitely cant leave it open.

Your title says snorkus which I read as the piece behind the grille. The silencer is the milkjug on the bottom of the airbox. Which do you plan on removing? Wouldn't worry if it's just the milkjug.

Also how are you mounting a winch? Why not mount the lights to the same mount as the winch?

i always thought the milkjug was the snorkus. i guess i got it wrong. for the winch im getting a new bumper beam. i will mount lights to that eventually but i will have to get that welded and itll probably be next year for that part. i've already spent a few thousand $ on my stupid car this year.

Archived