LegacyGT.com

Turn signals stopped working

So I was driving one day and while waiting to turn, the signal just stopped working. No life from the switch. Checked all the fuses, they were good, hazards still worked. I tried a new switch from the junkyard (plugged it in without messing with the airbag and steering wheel just to see if it works) and that didn't fix it. Searched and found it may be the hazard switch, so I went back and grabbed one from the junkyard, and that didn't fix it either. When I plugged it in and engaged it, the turn indicators in the gauge cluster were dim, then stopped. Blew the hazard fuse. Replaced it and plugged the new (used) switch back in and the hazards work as normal, but still no turns.

I'm really stumped here. Anyone have any ideas? It's only got one flasher that's shared between the turns and hazards, and it works.

I had this exact thing happen to me while driving. I used my hazards and then turned them off and my turn signals wouldn't work at all, and my hazards still did. I punched the dash above the hazard button about four times each time checking the signals and progressively hitting harder each time. The fifth punch worked, now they work fine, I just don't use my hazards. Try punching it lol

Update: I found why they weren't working, fuse #1 was blown. Unfortunately it keeps blowing, so there's a short somewhere. It doesn't short with the hazards but it does with either side turn signal. I replaced the 15A fuse with a 20A to see what would happen and it didn't blow, but with the left turns on it flashed the instrument panel lights (check engine, srs airbag, oil pressure, etc but not the gauges) and didn't flash the actual turn signal bulbs. The rights worked fine.

Could the problem be the instrument cluster? Maybe some melted solder or something between the turn arrows and the rest of the lights? The problem didn't fix itself when I replaced either switch, as I said before.

Update: I found why they weren't working, fuse #1 was blown. Unfortunately it keeps blowing, so there's a short somewhere. It doesn't short with the hazards but it does with either side turn signal. I replaced the 15A fuse with a 20A to see what would happen and it didn't blow, but with the left turns on it flashed the instrument panel lights (check engine, srs airbag, oil pressure, etc but not the gauges) and didn't flash the actual turn signal bulbs. The rights worked fine.

Could the problem be the instrument cluster? Maybe some melted solder or something between the turn arrows and the rest of the lights? The problem didn't fix itself when I replaced either switch, as I said before.

I would pull the turn signal bulbs and inspect them for problems. Also, fun fact (learned from experience) your turn signals won't work if the HVAC unit isn't connected, so I'd check that the 3 plugs that plug into it are all pushed in all the way.

• 2 years later...

Archived