LegacyGT.com

free car washes?

We're blessed in Dallas to have one of the best Subaru dealerships around. They even offer free car washes with each service.

The question I have is, "how good are these car washes?" I'd guess that OCDetails wouldn't use it, but how's everyone else's opinion/experience?

I have experience with a couple of free washes from another brand's dealership and I definitely wouldn't put my new Subie through that. :O

Guest *Jedimaster*
If it's done by hand, that's cool- I personally wouldn't use any of the other automatic kinds. I used them a lot with my WRX and it showed. Suby paint is thin and easily damaged- I have some free passes locally for car washes, but I won't use them on my own vehicle- maybe the wife's RAV4.

It's not the wash that kills the paint at dealerships. It's the greasy rags they use to dry the paint and wheels and everything else. I have seen many dealership 'detailers' dry the paint with a towel that was sitting in a puddle of water and used previously to dry someones tires and wheels. If you are going to have someone wash your car I would suggest it not be by someone making $6 bucks an hour to do it. Especially with how easy our paint is to swirl. And that's not just advice because I'm obsessive... ;) You can ask anybody about dealership detailers. They are the worst in the entire industry.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

My local dealer also offers complimentary washes with every service too. I decline them since the car never really comes back very clean -- water spots, bug guts still on bumper, brake dust in wheels. Plus, I find washing my own car to be quite a relaxing experience.

Ken

:lol:

I once had my oil changed at the dealer (back when I worked there) and they washed my freshly detailed car! I was so mad at the time, but they just said "sorry, man, you know he was just trying to do his job" (about the lowly lot attendant).

Last time i went for an oil change (my first btw), they gave me a free wash (read: just sprayed it with water). It was a good thing they did not attempt to dry it off. I was pissed, but what can you do. Next time i should tell them to skip the pretend wash.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I remember getting a car wash at a dealer once and they used a rag to "clean" my windows inside and out. It was fun getting the grease off all my glass later on :mad:

I always bring my car in spotless to the dealership. I always make it a point to refuse the wash. My car is spotless already so there is no reason for a wash. This is good because when my car comes back with grease and oil all over the doors and hood I know where it came from and let someone know.

I always bring my car in spotless to the dealership. I always make it a point to refuse the wash. My car is spotless already so there is no reason for a wash. This is good because when my car comes back with grease and oil all over the doors and hood I know where it came from and let someone know.

Exactly! That is probably why a lot of dealerships offer the wash. Personally I don't want any dealer installed swirls on my car with my oil change, so I'll just stick to washing it myself and having people ask me where I get it detailed at. ;)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Personally I do not let anyone wash my car other than me. I too am an SoD customer and they know never to touch my car.

If you're not picky about your car those washes are fine, but my car is always cleaner than anything on their lot, and even when it's dirty I'd rather not have them touch it. I even told the make-ready guys not to lay a finger on my car other than to pull of the cosmoline (sp?).

Heck, I'm usually in the service drive cleaning off the finger oils of the technicians that don't know how to close a freakin' door without touching the paint :mad::lol:

Mike

http://kanedasrealm.net

Archived