LegacyGT.com

What are my swap options

I'm looking for an affordable turbo motor swap into my 2000 Legacy wagon (ej25/5MT). I don't need huge power, just something fun I can upgrade and tune and throw down some hp with the rest of the guys.

I saw a bug eye Impreza with a JDM 2.0 and 6 speed trans. I can handle the mechanical and electric, I might need to ask question for support. I could really use help with what the swap options are and where to source the engine/trans

1. Can I get a JDM engine and trans to do the similar swap?

2. Would I need a different prop shaft?

3. Is it better to do a 2.0 or 2.5 turbo engine swap in the Legacy?

4. Will I loose the torque with a 2.0 turbo?

I greatly appreciate the help getting started with this.

I'm looking for an affordable turbo motor swap into my 2000 Legacy wagon (ej25/5MT)

never gonna happen.

1. yes you can go jdm but only with more modifications, such as no twin turbo you can only run a single.

2. yes a new prop shaft

3. its up to you what motor you pick thats the fun part. or you can do both. 2.0 heads and 2.5 block.

4. someone else needs to help me. with the 2.0 you loose high end torque but gain low end.

Hi,

There are lots of swaps documented here and all over the 'Net. Take some time to read up.

Most common is the ol' WRX swap so you can use OpenSource or COBB AP to tune it.

Note that your car is MAP-based and Subarus older and newer than yours are MAF-based.

Affordable is relative. If you're used to spending $2-4K on a swap (depends on what you do), you're good to go.

4. The 2.0 turbo is not going to move that '00 Legacy real well off the line. Usually the smaller the turbo the better the low-end, but the Tune® also affects that.

Hi,

There are lots of swaps documented here and all over the 'Net. Take some time to read up.

Most common is the ol' WRX swap so you can use OpenSource or COBB AP to tune it.

Note that your car is MAP-based and Subarus older and newer than yours are MAF-based.

Affordable is relative. If you're used to spending $2-4K on a swap (depends on what you do), you're good to go.

4. The 2.0 turbo is not going to move that '00 Legacy real well off the line. Usually the smaller the turbo the better the low-end, but the Tune® also affects that.

Thank you, this is some of the stuff I'm looking to gain knowledge on. I understand why most people don't respond well to a post like this. I'm not trolling, and I don't have an endless budget to compete with the next guy. I really enjoy the Suby scene and would like to have a unique Subaru to support the hobby.

Can you direct me to some articles/posts with the kind of information I need to know?

I am prepared to spend the $2k-$4k on a swap. I just want to have all the pros and cons figured out before making a purchase. I also don't want to waste money, or have regret that I should have swapped this motor instead of that motor.

Some people say the 2.0 WRX swap would be fine, not stock, but once tuned to motive the Legacy wagon. Others say the 2.5 has more torque and is a better engine. Some do hybrids, which I have no idea the pros cons of that, but would like to learn more.

If all the information I needed was in one place I would gladly read it. I'm not having the easiest time finding the information I'm looking for and would simply appreciate if it were pointed out (linked?).

The easiest swap would be a Ej205 swap. The VF39 is a fine snail or you could swap in a 255. EJ205 engines are cheap and you can get one fairly easy. Not point in custom tune just get the whole harness and ECU (cluster as well since you need DOHC triggers vs SOHC for the tachometer.

Your best bet would be to head over to http://www.RS25.com as that is closer to what you intend to do than most swaps on here. By that I mean swapping a EJ205/55 into a EJ251/25D Subaru.

Archived