LegacyGT.com

Battery dead after airbag service 2006 2.5i auto

Took my car in for the airbag recall yesterday morning. All seemed to have gone well, get a phone call early afternoon saying car is done and asked if I have ever had starting issues before. I say no since I haven't. They check and say battery isn't holding a charge and recommend replacement since it looks old. Price was insane($160) so I passed. Figured I bought the car used guess the battery just is old. It starts fine at the dealer to drive home, get home, go to restart and it sounds weak. Put a trickle charger on all night and start this morning to go to work, weak start again. Get to the office, try to restart its dead. So I figure ok they said its dying guess its time for a new one. Pull the battery and it has a date code of December 2012, only 3.5 years old...

Any thoughts on this? Just bad luck/timing or something the dealer may have done?

It sounds like a short or wiring fault in your electrical system. The usual suspects are improperly installed aftermarket equipment. If not that, you can generally find the problem with the car off by removing fuses one at a time and jumpering with an ammeter. Any circuit drawing more than a few milliamps will start you on the right path. You didn't say which model it is but I suggest you mention here for a couple of reasons. The first being someone here has probably had the same issue and can advise as to repair. Most mechanics I've mentioned, even very good ones, get completely befuddled when it comes to electronics.

It sounds like a short or wiring fault in your electrical system. The usual suspects are improperly installed aftermarket equipment. If not that, you can generally find the problem with the car off by removing fuses one at a time and jumpering with an ammeter. Any circuit drawing more than a few milliamps will start you on the right path. You didn't say which model it is but I suggest you mention here for a couple of reasons. The first being someone here has probably had the same issue and can advise as to repair. Most mechanics I've mentioned, even very good ones, get completely befuddled when it comes to electronics.

I mentioned here because it happened while Subaru had my car for the airbag recall. Didn't know if anyone else has had an issue

Archived