LegacyGT.com

Blown Engine Rebuild - Injectors and Tune Question

Hi all, hopefully I've posted this in the right section. So I have been cursed with the dreaded ringland failure and after much internal struggle, I've decided that I'm going to push forward with an engine rebuild (loving a car is the real curse). To make this whole ordeal a more positive one, I am going to throw a BNR 16G on along with an AVO TMIC. Here's a summary of my situation:

Setup prior to the day that will live down in infamy:

- GT Spec UEL headers

- Catless UP

- Perrin LW crank pulley

- SPT intake

- Invidia catless DP

- SPT catback

- COBB EBCS

- EFI opensource tune

Additions during rebuild:

- Stock EJ255 w/ re-machined heads

- BNR 16G (do I need special oil lines?)

- AVO TMIC

- South Bend Stage 2 Daily clutch w/ WRX SMFW

First, I'm thinking I might as well throw on fuel upgrades including a new pump and injectors. Does anyone have a good suggestion on where I should focus my search?

Second, how do I safely handle all of these new items at once? That is, how do I properly break in the new block and a new clutch while not causing damage with a new turbo? Is the tune critical enough that I should have the car towed there (about 60 miles) and when should I have it done?

I appreciate all your help and any additional advice you have. Remember, bring sunscreen if you're hitting up WBM tomorrow.

Welcome to the club, I'm in the same boat!

Fueling mods aren't required for a BNR 16G. Might want to do the pump and leave the injectors alone. You won't be leaving much on the table. Side feeds are fairly easy to DIY install later if you find you need them.

On oil lines Brian is recommending a custom setup taking the oiling off at the filter with a secondary 40micron filter inline. At the very least you need need some sort of upgrade as the stock line has several restrictions in in. The IP&T kit is out of product in but both Forced performance and IGA both make one that's well recommended elsewhere. You can get the parts to make a kit like Brian recommends at ANPlumbing.

For break in, your current tune with the new turbo mechanically set to wastegate boost probably would be OK. Just watch the logs closely. That or ask your tuner for a limp map that would do basically the same thing. If you change injectors things get more complicated in this regard.

If you have not, do not buy the BNR16g, talk with Brian and Mike of TA, they are about a 15 minutes ride from you. Don't go anywhere else.

Talk with them and do it right the first time. I know the best machine shop in CT for these cars too, see my click here link.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived