LegacyGT.com

Seat swap (aftermarket?)

I have a 2011 legacy and the seat kills my whole back and neck. I've used all kinds of cushions and even had the seat fixed up at an upholstery place. It still hurts my back and I just can't drive it. I love the car and got a great deal on it so I don't want to sell it.

I called subaru and they said only 10-14 legacy seats would swap and maybe outback seats. (but i heard outback seats are bad as well.) They said the airbag issue and rails prevent other seats from being installed. There has to be other seats that I can use.

Does anyone know if another car seat model would work? Would Recaro work with out the airbags and electronics? I don't want to set off all kind of lights. Please can anybody help!! Thanks!!!

There are a couple of folks who have swapped for aftermarket seats:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jackals-20g-18g-e85-soap-opera-228517.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ebo03s-journal-time-get-serious-207234.html

Not direct links to the seat-related info, but both threads are good reads (especially Jackal's, it's a nailbiter...). I don't remember if the Cipher seat Jackal has retained all the airbag functionality, but I believe the Recaro ebo03 went with did.

Are there some injury related pains brought out by the seats? I ask because I don't recall anyone saying the seats were uncomfortable, especially with all the adjustability in them. Side bolstering they do lack.

If you can find a fab shop willing to make a seat bracket, or make one work for you just about any subaru seat should be useable, I have heard the sti and brz seats are very comfortable.

The seats didn't seem uncomfortable at first but back and neck pain developed as I drove longer. The driver seat was a bit wore out but I had it reupholstered. It got even worse after I was out of the car. I've never had back pain before and I've driven many subarus before (all older models) I can drive other cars with only minor pain but the legacy is still a nightmare.

Thanks for the links to the other threads. I'll send them a PM and ask for more info.

Since the driver seat is electronically controlled and has airbags (as far as I know) Would an aftermarket seat cause problems? Would all kinds of check engine lights and stuff start flashing?

I don't remember, unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure he covered that in his thread at some point.

This. He supplied many details about installing his seat. It'd be best (and faster) to spend some time reading through his build thread. Then you can PM him for some highly-focused questions that he didn't necessarily already cover.

Archived