LegacyGT.com

summer tires

Beanboy

So what if winter is fast approaching. :D

I know what all-season I would want: PZero Nero M+S

I know what winter performance I would want: Dunlop Winter Sport M3

What I can't seem to find is a solid summer only max performance tire.

Goodyear F1 GS D3 seem to pass most of my requirements which are as follows:

-Sidewall not too stiff. Deal with Boston roads/potholes on a daily basis.

-Good in rain.

-Equal or better than RE92s in terms of noise.

-Can survive a half-dozen or so driving events with a novice behind the wheel a year (autocross, rallicross, track school)

-Price isn't an issue.

The Goodyears because of their tread design seem to be suffering cupping/chunking at autocross events.

Anything else out there that comes close or should I give the Goodyears a shot?

-B

I have the F1s and love them. I can vouch for:

-Sidewall not too stiff.

-Good in rain.

The sidewall issue might be a deal breaker for some, but probably not for you. That was the only think I was mildly disappointed with but they ride so smoothly I've gotten over it. If you get them, just be sure you run them around 40/38 or so (I've even run 42/40) or you'll feel like there is no sidewall at all.

Good luck.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 are pretty decent. I tracked them with the outback, help up REALLY well, have almost 6K miles on them, minimal signs of wear. Not sure how much performance you are looking for, but from someone that knows track driving and spirited daily driving, I feel they are a great tire for the money, pretty much mid range in pricing. You can get them from http://www.tirerack.com

I have the F1s and love them. I can vouch for:

-Sidewall not too stiff.

-Good in rain.

The sidewall issue might be a deal breaker for some, but probably not for you. That was the only think I was mildly disappointed with but they ride so smoothly I've gotten over it. If you get them, just be sure you run them around 40/38 or so (I've even run 42/40) or you'll feel like there is no sidewall at all.

Good luck.

Which version of the GSD3 do you have? I see tirerack sells several in the 225/45 17 size. I'd imagine the XL load rated one would have a stiffer sidewall, but its more expensive as well.

I'm running the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2. They are very quiet for a summer performance tire but I don't know how they would hold up after a few hot laps on the track. But they are very sticky (when not overheated).

Which version of the GSD3 do you have? I see tirerack sells several in the 225/45 17 size. I'd imagine the XL load rated one would have a stiffer sidewall, but its more expensive as well.

I have the stock size not the 225s.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Archived