LegacyGT.com

timing belt replacement. cams spun out of control.

So I was redoing my timing belt today on my ej206 dohc engine and my spring loaded cam shafts spun out of control when I released tension on the belt. Are my valves now bent from this? My crank shaft was on dead center lined up on the notch.

So shes up and running and it sounds fine. Haven't taken it for spin yet though. I'm pretty sure I got heat stroke yesterday and feel like absolute crap today. Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

• Moderators

Seems that this happens quite often and I haven't found any stories of folks having an issue as long as everything was set up to do the timing job anyway (crank shaft and timing marks lined up properly before removing the belt).

When everything is lined up for the timing job, the pistons are mid stroke and the valves on the driver's side are (partially) loaded up by the cams. When they spin, the valves just snap shut and that's it. The cams might spin farther than that but as soon as they hit resistance as the lobe tries to open valves again their momentum is stopped.

Hopefully that rambling makes sense. Interested in your test drive, I'm putting a motor back in my car shortly that had the same thing happen ;)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 2 weeks later...
So its driving quite nicely. My power steering squeels on the first start of the day, but other than that everything seems to working great. Have any idea why my belt would be squeeling like that guys?

Seems that this happens quite often and I haven't found any stories of folks having an issue as long as everything was set up to do the timing job anyway (crank shaft and timing marks lined up properly before removing the belt).

When everything is lined up for the timing job, the pistons are mid stroke and the valves on the driver's side are (partially) loaded up by the cams. When they spin, the valves just snap shut and that's it. The cams might spin farther than that but as soon as they hit resistance as the lobe tries to open valves again their momentum is stopped.

Hopefully that rambling makes sense. Interested in your test drive, I'm putting a motor back in my car shortly that had the same thing happen ;)

This.

If you timed the motor correctly before removing the belt, you can turn the cams all day long and never have the valves touch the pistons. The pistons are not at top dead center when you "time" a Subaru engine. The pistons are mid stroke and nowhere near the valves.

• Moderators
So its driving quite nicely. My power steering squeels on the first start of the day, but other than that everything seems to working great. Have any idea why my belt would be squeeling like that guys?

The belt is probably a bit too loose. See if you can't tighten it just a bit to solve the problem.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived