LegacyGT.com

'08 OBXT coming my way, questions?

Hi All,

I've purchased Smorris's '08 Outback XT 5sp and it should be arriving on the truck here in Portland in a few weeks. I've been on LegacyGT for over 10 years now but entirely lurking in the GT Wagon applicable rooms. Currently running an '05 GT wagon that was decommissioned as a daily driver a few years back and turned into a track only car, (it is still street legal however). That was replaced by an '07 Audi A4 Avant as my daily driver and while I LOVE the car the maintenance is killing me so I've decided to sell it with the purchase of this Outback from Smorris. Not a ton of mod plans for this car, (that was we always say right??) as I'm pretty fully invested in the GT Wagon for mods. However I had few questions I'd like to present as I continue to do some research.

Definitely going to swap out the rear sway, end links, and swaybar brackets straight away. It made a huge difference in the GT wagon and i have to think its the same in the Outback, yes? Seems like the sway bars that fit the '05-'09 Legacys are a direct fit to the Outbacks yeah? I've had Perrins on from day one on the Legacy, any fav's you guys like running on the Outback Platform?

Also not a huge fan of the faux wood trim pieces on either side of the stereo console and the strip on the glovebox. I can deal, (I guess) with the faux wood pieces on the door skins because they are so small but it would be nice to mod them all at once. On member suggested vinyl overlay as a solution. Any one have comments on how easy that is to do? Links to product or Pics anyone? I'd be tempted to just buy the trim pieces used from a car part out etc in a different color. Can anyone confirm fitment on what years fit for these console pieces? Any '05-'09 Legacy or Outback or is the fitment different within those years?

Are the teeny front brakes really all that bad? I wish I would have kept my GT calipers when I swapped out to my StopTech kit on the Legacy but I ended up pitching them. Are the GT calipers a direct fit using just the caliper and GT bracket? Might try to source some in the future.

Thanks for any info you can offer gents I guess you'll be seeing more of me around here in the Outback forums from here on out :)

RSB makes a huge difference. Should have been the first mod I did. Any 05-09 LGT RSB should work. I swapped brackets and RSB. Still on the stock endlinks in the rear.

Brakes aren't that bad. Especially for a DD. I think swapping to a better compound pad will be enough for you (for DD). I started to fade mine charging down the Sierras. But, I didn't have upgraded pads.The GT rotors and calipers are a direct fit as long as you have the caliper brackets. They are also significantly heavier and add a lot of unsprung weight. They make the car feel more sluggish coming from a stop.

If you are only going to run 18s (and maybe some 17s). This is an option - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cadillac-ats-brembo-caliper-upgrade-your-subaru-251912.html

Archived