LegacyGT.com

Rim and tire advice please...

Hey all,

I've spent most of my time over in the GT wagon part of this site over the last 10 years or as an owner of an '05 RBP GT wagon that has new been turned into a full time track car. I'm considering buying an '08 Outback XT as a daily driver as my Audi A4 Avant is killing me with maintenance.

I've always run two dedicated wheel sets on my cars and this one will be no different. The vehicle I'm looking at currently runs 215/60/17's on 2011 Forester wheels. The car has 3/4" Paranoid Fabrications spacers installed on all 4 corners for a slight lift.

I'll run this set up for a winter option but would like to put a larger, more performance oriented set on for summer. Any thoughts on using an 18x8 rim with a 235/40/18, (Continental Extreme Contact DW) on this car? Doesn't seem like any issues would arise but would love your thoughts. Thanks!

It's raised 3/4" from stock height. Any comments or thoughts on how this would look with 235/40/18's ? Just trying to wrap my head around it. Long story short, I just purchased the conti's to put on the A4 and with this last $700 repair bill I'm just over the car and ready to move back to an Outback for a DD. Given my druthers, I'd probably run a 225/50/18 for a summer set on a 7.5" rim. I don't have the rims yet so the possibility of returning them for the 225's exists.

Ok nice. Certainly going for different look but if he's gotten them to fit with the car lowered, certainly they would fit with the car higher than stock :) (right?). Looks like he mentioned running about 2700 rpm at highway speeds. Not bad but it would be nice to drop that a bit if I could. If the difference is less than 200 rpm then probably not a big deal.

Still not sure if I'd keep the 3/4" lift spacers in or not. I don't really need them but since this is kind of the "anti" version of my '05 Legacy track car I could leave them in if their are no issues.

The car also has the faux wood trim on the center console / glove box strip. Not a big fan so maybe a swap out to another color...

Ok nice. Certainly going for different look but if he's gotten them to fit with the car lowered, certainly they would fit with the car higher than stock :) (right?).

Absolutely, should have plenty of room with those tires on 18x8s, though 8.5s are technically a better fit for 235 tires.

I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

Ok nice. Certainly going for different look but if he's gotten them to fit with the car lowered, certainly they would fit with the car higher than stock :) (right?). Looks like he mentioned running about 2700 rpm at highway speeds. Not bad but it would be nice to drop that a bit if I could. If the difference is less than 200 rpm then probably not a big deal.

Still not sure if I'd keep the 3/4" lift spacers in or not. I don't really need them but since this is kind of the "anti" version of my '05 Legacy track car I could leave them in if their are no issues.

The car also has the faux wood trim on the center console / glove box strip. Not a big fan so maybe a swap out to another color...

The lift spacers shouldn't cause any issues (unless the alignment is off) I had 3/4"f/1.5"R for years in mine. Never had any issues. Might just make the wheels / wheel wells look funny. It's just an afternoons worth of work to remove them though. I used my spacers to be between Legacy and Outback height, not to get more lift. Unsure what the alignment will be at that height.

For a DD (if you plan on throwing anything in the trunk) I really recommend King KSRS-29 springs (I own) or Rallitek Overlord (no personal experience). Without them the rear sags A LOT when you carry around anything.

You will probably be very disappointed in the stock suspension (especially in the rear). But, you can improve the feel a lot just with a larger RSB. The stock Outback one is smaller than the Legacy GT.

Not a lot of shock options for the Outback - Just OEM or a JDM Bilstein kit.

Bilstein Kit - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bilstein-bts-outback-xt-kit-pictures-111880.html

I think BCBR used to or still does make Outback specific coilovers.

here is a really great thread on the 05-09 suspension. I read this many times before I decided I wanted to go low.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/28368-2005-2009-outback-suspension-faq.html

Outback XT is very similar to your car except for:

Body lift spacers (Engine / drivetrain sits lower)

5MT has different gearing to work with 225/55/17 tires

Smaller brakes (off a 2.5i). Allows use of 16 inch rims

Rear Upper control arm and bumpstop is different

I might have missed something, but that's the gist of it.

Nice, thanks OB2.5XT, I've followed your threads for some time now and love what you've done with your car. Its going to be strange at first for me as I'm so used to the GT wagon: bigger power, massive suspension ugrades, big brakes, etc etc.

Really wish I had kept my GT calipers when I swapped out to my StopTech Trophy kit as this is one thing I'm really lamenting on the Outback- teeny brakes, (although my GT calipers were absolutely WORKED anyway...) I'll tinker with this car a small amount but plan to keep it super civilized. Definitely swapping out the rear sway and we'll see what I think of the shock set up.

Archived