LegacyGT.com

98 legacy NO SPARK see post for deetz

I've lost track of what parts you are running. Plus I'm not an expert on what things interchange. If the computer you are trying to run is from a 2.2 then I expect you need a crank sprocket from a 2.2. If the computer is from a 2.5 then sprocket from 2.5. Then you would need the cam stuff to match up as well.

I found this pic. We're looking at the teeth on the back edge.

http://mynet.whitehat-inc.com/subaru/cranktiminggear.jpg

My ej22 one looks like the one on the right. The one on the left would do a better job, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is what is used on the 2.5.

Plus you can see here how the uneven tooth pattern can clue the computer to where in the rotation it is.

See the one on the left came off my 2.2 so I wonder if I try that how it would work. Mater of fact I'm gonna try that. Also I also have find it runs kinda poopy with the tps plugged in soon as I unplug it it runs better but it idles at 2k.

Here is what i think my problem is. i think its my throttle position sensor. i just watched a video of a guy who is having just about the same issue. his TPS code is being thrown his car is idling at 2k rpm and when puts on the gas it goes down then as he steps more on the gas the car begins to misfire. could this be my problem? if so do you think its because the TPS on the car is for a phase 2 instead of a phase 1?

It could be the problem. I don't know if those two interchange.

If you don't have something to talk OBDII and ask the computer what it sees on the sensors, you should get something for a project like this. It's not foolproof, but it is a whole lot better than nothing.

Besides my ~$200 code and data tool, I just sent away for a $7 bluetooth thing to send the computer data to my phone. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few other options that are reasonably priced. That scan tool is from a long time ago when they were still pretty proud of it.

i cant remember the voltage spec, but i know you can put a meter on the tps and check both at idle and wot to make sure it is putting out the right range if you dont have a scanner that will give you that info. usually it will spit out both voltage and % throttle. my sons dodge truck has a faulty switch, sometimes it reports 19% at idle and only 75% at WOT.

Oh, yes, that is another way that I forgot about. Good thing twisty is around here. Plus, if you do that to check idle and WOT, you also want to slowly go between the two and see that the meter value changes slow and smooth, not jumpy. (You'd want to do that with the OBDII scantool as well, probably with the engine off key on so you don't get a speeding ticket ;) )

• 2 weeks later...
Hey fellas could anyone help me with this other issue I'm having with the build. I finally got spark and the car is started and it will run. I made a plate for the throttle body and stuck the phase 1 throttle body on. With the tps for that wiring harness. Now I need to figure out how to work the iacv. There's a hose that leads from the iacv to a line under the intake manifold. What do I do with that hose now? Since this throttle body doesn't have the port for the iacv....

My FSM for 1995 EJ22 doesn't list any lines going to fuel from the IAC. The big hose is the air that it is controlling from the intake tube after the MAF. The other two little lines are coolant lines that provide more stable operation in cold weather. One of these feeds from a small coolant line coming from the throttle body, and the other is the return back to the main cooling system. I deleted these lines on mine for use in AZ.

Do you have a FSM for either the source or destination car? It may be different for your year, but I doubt it. Fuel is only delivered by the injectors, EPA dictates the stuff with coolant warming, and you want air that has gone through the filter and the MAF.

I'm not exactly sure double chaz what I'm gonna do today is run and get the iacv from the junkyard then come home and flip the intake manifold around see where this line goes. I still cannot seem to get my pictures to upload to my threads? :/

Archived