LegacyGT.com

Door panel removal/sound deadening install...with pics

deneb

Very nice and just the pictures I needed.

Hilarious! The two Cop's running afterwards .... In the moment, the Cop's must have thought, WHAT the hell.... declaring M' Fk'er and taking chase! Too funny.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok started working on my 09 S.E. legacy and found some interesting things. For starters, and don't think I've seen this mentioned, but the weatherproof layer of film has a black matting attached to it. It's not very dense and so I'm sure it's not adding that much, but must help some for them to have put it in.

There are also 2 small strips of damping material attached to the outer door skin, one in the middle of the upper half and another in the lower half of the door.

I added b-quiet ultimate directly on the door skin, using the 40% for 95% application. I then put a full layer of V-comp on the door skin.

It was a big pain in the butt to get the door skin back onto the door. I'm thinking I may try to put the v-comp directly onto the new matting installed on the weather proof film vs. on the door skin.

I've only done the driver door, as it took a little bit tonight and planning on just working a door each night this week. I took it for a quick spin and it is quite a bit quieter, although I didn't get a chance to test at highway speeds. I'll get a good test going in to work tomorrow.

After getting that 1 done, I can't wait to get the other 3 doors finished, as well as hopefully the trunk lid and the shelf with the sub on it.

If anyone's interested I can take pics tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

What where your results on this? Also, do you have the HK stereo in your 09? If so did it help the door rattle from the bass?

Thanks

Ok started working on my 09 S.E. legacy and found some interesting things. For starters, and don't think I've seen this mentioned, but the weatherproof layer of film has a black matting attached to it. It's not very dense and so I'm sure it's not adding that much, but must help some for them to have put it in.

There are also 2 small strips of damping material attached to the outer door skin, one in the middle of the upper half and another in the lower half of the door.

I added b-quiet ultimate directly on the door skin, using the 40% for 95% application. I then put a full layer of V-comp on the door skin.

It was a big pain in the butt to get the door skin back onto the door. I'm thinking I may try to put the v-comp directly onto the new matting installed on the weather proof film vs. on the door skin.

I've only done the driver door, as it took a little bit tonight and planning on just working a door each night this week. I took it for a quick spin and it is quite a bit quieter, although I didn't get a chance to test at highway speeds. I'll get a good test going in to work tomorrow.

After getting that 1 done, I can't wait to get the other 3 doors finished, as well as hopefully the trunk lid and the shelf with the sub on it.

If anyone's interested I can take pics tomorrow.

• 11 months later...
does anyone know how to tighten the window somehow?? I believe its the window stop but I dont know for sure in any sort of way... I am completely prepared to take off my door panels now thanks to this great walkthrough. but can anyone tell me how to fix my window that seems to be loose in some way that it makes wind noise and shakes if I have it cracked at high speeds. It kinda drives me crazy during the winter when im driving to the hill.

What where your results on this? Also, do you have the HK stereo in your 09? If so did it help the door rattle from the bass?

Thanks

I have the 09 HK system and yes deadening the doors helps the bass response a lott..check diyma.com for a lil more in depth info on how to properly deaden doors..

• 3 years later...

just did all four speakers in my '03 legacy, this was a nice walk-through to help me figure out how to do it....a lot easier than I thought it would be. After some working, I found out it is easier to remove the door panel if you lift from the bottom up after the clips are loose. I put in 3 way JBL's in the front without any need of spacers, and the speakers came with a nice kit for retrofitting existing mounts. The back ones were an entirely different story and took a lot of trial and error. I found the following link pretty helpful since it is the same year and the interior is quite similar to the legacy.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335452

• 11 months later...

I couldn't care less about stereo upgrades and sound deadening. I just want to thank you folks for helping me figure out to get my right back door card off so I could graphite the stodgy power lock.

I left off the half-handle and the trim cover. I'll drive it a week and see if the cure lasts, otherwise it's off to the mechanic to install a new door lock. Installed price at White Bear Subaru is $222.22. I'm waiting for a respected local independent Subaru outfit to check in with a price.

Any reason you put the deadner on the moisture barrier instead of the metal part of the doors instead?

I wouldn't remove the moisture barrier unless you're going to replicate it using something like B-Quiet Extreme or Dynamat. And considering how thick the B-Quiet VComp is, i don't know if you'd be able to cover the entire panel with it.

Archived