LegacyGT.com

2012 Legacy 3.6 side impact.

I have taken good care of my car and I love driving this car. I intended to pay it off and keep it until it died... a natural death. (another 10 years or so) The insurance adjuster has not looked at it yet. We were hit by a car that ran a stop sign. They hit us pretty hard. We are fine. (sore but were able to walk away)

I hate the idea of buying someone else's used car when I actually picked this one out new and took care of all of the maintenance as I should have. I also don't want to start more payments. I am down to owing $8000 and was planning on paying it off soon.

Does this look totaled or fixable?

It looks like the cost to buy a comparable car right now is around $18,000. view?usp=sharing

717961233_Subaru2012.jpg.62686c37c81dec69d833e5e48717ac51.jpg

The car did it's job and let you walk away and insurance should do the rest.

I would say fixable if the B-pillar didn't take a hit. Lots of gap on the rear left tire arch so things sure did take a hard hit.

The car did do it's job. I have driven a Subaru for so long that it's easy to forget how flimsy other cars are... I have a Nissan rental right now and I can not say anything nice other than I will get there.... sooner or later... I feel like I'm driving a lawn mower.

The adjuster said fixing it was borderline and there were to many unknowns. The roof may have had a crinkle in it and the suspension could be messed up. I hate to start a new set of payments but if a Subaru Dealer can get me into a new Legacy with the 3.6 for 30k or less, I am leaning towards buying a new one.

I do also like the Outbacks, I haul dogs for rescue so it would be nice to be able to get more dog crates into the car. I also like the tires better (not the low profile tires that the legacy has) I go no matter what the weather and have found the low profile do not steer like the old tires did. (I do run with very good winter tires)

I am used to the way the legacy handles and I am not sure that I would be as happy with the outback.

First off,

Glad to hear that you are OK....

Obligatory "it'll buff out" comment :p

Seriously though, It should be totaled. The side structure has been compromised to the point where if it were involved in another side impact it would be far worse outcome. The car did it's job and protected you from serious injury.

Around here outbacks are CRAZY expensive.. like 18K for a 2013 with 93K on it....

I believe I have decided to replace my legacy with an outback. I did drive a 2015 Crossover. I liked the way it looked. It had a manual transmission which is fine but I just did not like how light weight it was... I want some metal around me when someone plows into us.

I went to the local Subaru dealer to buy their only Outback with a 3.6 and it was sold already (I believe they knew this before I drove over) The salesman mentioned a 2.5 about 4 times before he finally realized my only real requirement is a 3.6 engine. They are now trying to get one. I will be heading to a dealer farther away on Saturday if the local guy does not have a car for me by Friday evening. I was really torn on whether to get a legacy or outback and if the extra package is worth the extra money to me. (moon roof, navigation, eyesight, etc) I use Waze with a tablet.... I am not sure I like a car braking for me... I like to make the decisions... and I feel like the safest thing to do sometimes is to get your car out of the way even if you have to hit something to do it. (Biggest vehicle wins... so don't stop in front of a truck)

As far as safety goes the occupants in the bigger car don't always win. All that energy is going to be absorbed by something and in a subaru regardless of the model, the unibody does an excellent job of absorbing that energy. All vehicles go through the same crash tests with the same speeds and are rated accordingly. The outback is a great vehicle but I wouldn't hesitate to put my family in any Subaru they are all equally safe. Have you considered a forester xt? A little less luxury but more utility and space, great handling as well.

I hate to say it but I'm now spoiled. My main requirement is that it has the 3.6. My girlfriend bought a new Forester (2012) and it rusted within 3 years. (Surface rust that you can see walking past the car) She went to the dealership and they painted over the rust.... which does not work and within a few months the rust can be seen again. She bought the car new. It is only a couple of years old. I believe they told her that the guarantee is for rust through not that you won't have rust. I did not see this on my Legacy. I still want a Subaru but she says she will not buy another one. So, the Forester is out because of rust too... She takes better care of her car than I do when it comes to washing it. I live on a dirt road and go with the dirt is a protective coating theory.

The dealership says they have found me a car at another dealership. We are waiting on it to get here. A red Outback with the extra package (moon roof, nav. eyesight, etc.) I think I read that you can turn off the braking part of the eyesight which I will probably do... I have gassed out of a few possible collisions. I don't want the car thinking for me. I still believe I should make the decisions and I have driven a lot of miles. My family has driven hazmat trucks and I have been taught a lot of maneuvers that most people would never consider. I am excited about having the bigger, not low profile tires and the extra ground clearance. I do not need the extra package but it appears that it is hard to find a 3.6 right now. I was willing to take what they could get. I do not have time to order one and wait since we are down to one car.

the car does not do any thinking for you... It will determine if your forgetful self is about to hit something and does it's best to mitigate the situation. I have driven cars with eyesight and if I buy a new one, it is on the list of things I want to have to offer another layer of protection..

as for rust, I have never seen rust on a Subaru less than 5 years old. After that it's pretty much fair game. Best line of defense is to regularly wash and wax the car....

400 to 600 lb weight difference between the the outback and crosstrek. The doors are going to feel lighter since the outback has more dampening. The powertrain alone accounts for a couple hundred pounds difference. But feel is subjective. All subaru vehicles stick to the same recipe of safety first. And all are top safety picks iirc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

751733192_Subaru2016sm.thumb.jpg.c24bcfe7d89f7d62e1ba9c7fb8d4e9d7.jpg

Bought my replacement car.

We are still waiting on Erie Insurance to pay off the totaled one and send me the difference. They are saying they are having problems getting some letter from Chase.???? 19 days and counting...

The 2016 Outback: I am finding the push button a strange thing... The car is quiet. I have gotten out of my car with the fob and realized the car is still running... It is nice walking up with the fob in my purse, the door unlocks on it's own and I can start the car without getting the fob(key) out. The backup camera is much nicer than other ones that I have seen. The warning sensor when backing up already saved me. When I was turning around and a car came past me doing double the speed allowed. (He got behind me fast from the opposite direction, I had looked that direction first and was now watching where I was backing to. I suppose if I was looking at the camera and not the mirror... I would have seen them too..and not just heard the beeping. )

I hate to say it but I'm now spoiled. My main requirement is that it has the 3.6. My girlfriend bought a new Forester (2012) and it rusted within 3 years. (Surface rust that you can see walking past the car) She went to the dealership and they painted over the rust.... which does not work and within a few months the rust can be seen again. She bought the car new. It is only a couple of years old. I believe they told her that the guarantee is for rust through not that you won't have rust. I did not see this on my Legacy. I still want a Subaru but she says she will not buy another one. So, the Forester is out because of rust too... She takes better care of her car than I do when it comes to washing it. I live on a dirt road and go with the dirt is a protective coating theory.

Are you serious? Rust on a 2 year old Subaru?! I have never heard of that. I used to have a 2005 Outback 2.5 Limited and it didn't have rust 10 years later, although the clear coat started peeling after 1 year and was poorly 'fixed' at that point. Unless the Subaru was parked in a humid salt pit I wouldn't (and don't) expect a Subaru to rust after 5 years let alone 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived