LegacyGT.com

FA20 EJ22t or EJ20r swap?

Hey guys,

Been away for a bit getting things figured out with life. My old 97 lgt is sold to a guy doing a jdm ej20 ver 5 Sti swap on it. Glad to see it to go to someone who will love it as much as I did. I've been doing a bunch of research on starting a turbo build on my legacy outback. I've been thinking of multiple different swaps. First one, EJ22t. I have always wanted this engine since I got into subarus, since my first Subie had a ej22 in it. I have heard really good things about this engine, but also it has a very high compression for a turbo motor. Next up is the ej20r, twin turbo jdm motor. Of course, I wouldn't keep it twin I would convert it to single turbo. I have also heard really good things about this engine also. Being I live in California this swap would be a bit more difficult with smog. Finally, the fa20. This engine is on the top of my list to swap into my outback. Reason being that the new wrx pulls impressive number off of this engine compared to the Sti outdated ej257. Also being the that it gets great gas mileage ontop of it.

What are your guys opinions on these swaps?

What research have you been doing?

The FA20 is a brand new engine. You would be the first to do this swap. How much money do you have?

The EJ20R, don't do it. Do the EJ20G if you want an early JDM motor.

EJ22T, these are pretty hard to find. Would be the least amount of trouble.

Back to research. What have you researched? This is not a cheap thing to do unless you already have a donor car that you can do the swap with. It is also not as easy to do as I think you are believing it is.

Well I don't have the money as of right now, I'm more planning it out before I jump into it. I'm very aware that this isn't a piece of cake type of thing to swap into the car nor is a cheap thing to do. I have researched everything I would need to fully do the swap. Like the jdm swaps, I was looking at that because the harness isn't too much different on the early ej20t motors. But then smog is an issue. That's why I'm aiming towards Usdm.

Just wanted to make sure you knew what you might be getting into.

The EJ20R aka twin turbo I believe would make you have to do a RHD swap as well.

Again EJ22t are awesome but difficult to find and likely need to rebuild.

A USDM 2L from an early bugeye WRX is probably your best bet and would allow you to use a Cobb AP for tuning.

If you get a JDM EJ20G you can run the JDM ECU with it which from factory puts you at about 14 psi.

Don't know what you need to do as far as cross member since we didn't get turbo GT. Maybe you just notch it or find a twin turbo cross member.

Well like I stated if I did the ej20r I would convert it to single turbo not twin. I heard it's really good engine. You can do the twin swap just a bunch of custom work would need to be done. Yeah I was thinking about doing a bugeye swap into it. Just FA20 sounds like fun because it hasn't been done before. If I did ej20g I would have to get Usdm 2.0 heads with egr so that I can smog it. All you have to do is get a cross member from a wrx and slap it in

so you can find lots of cross members to work for all applications.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/study-turbo-crossmembers-and-steering-racks-221606.html

maybe you can buy two turbo set ups and ecu's, one to pass smog and one to have all the fun with.

dont know cali emissions well enough but in colorado we have two years between each one.

or notching the stock one works just as good.

I might just keep it Usdm so when I smog it isn't a issue at all. In Cali, it depends on which county you live in. Where I'm originally from is one time smog and your good but where I currently live it's every 2 years. Might just keep it registered to where I'm originally from

First one, EJ22t. I have always wanted this engine since I got into subarus, since my first Subie had a ej22 in it. I have heard really good things about this engine, but also it has a very high compression for a turbo motor.

The EJ22T is an 8.0:1 CR engine. That's not HIGH @ all, and in my experience the lowest or equal to the lowest CR of any Turbo subarus w/the EJ-series engines.The EJ205 in '02--'05 WRX is also 8:1, FWIW.

I'm not busting your Uknowwhats, just a heads up.

The other Cali emissions issue may be if they do a VISUAL INSPECTION? Whether it passes the 'sniffer' doesnt' matter if it's not 'stock' under the hood.

EASIEST option is to get a '90-'96 EJ22e (non-turbo), put your OB heads (assuming you have the '96-'99 EJ25D - DOHC) on it, and find some EM* that will run it w/some bigger injectors and other necessary turbo requirements.

BEST option is go w/the full WRX swap from a trashed car. So you can run the COBB or Open-source EM. Been done enough to be ubiquitous.

*EM = engine management - Piggy-backs, stand-alones, COBB, etc.

Found the swap I'm going with. Found a local guy who has half cuts that he imports all the time. What I decided upon was ej20k ver 4 swap. The guy who imports half cuts would have everything I need for the swap for $2,000.

What's everyone's opinion on ej20 ver 4s?

EJ20K is a solid motor with forged pistons as stock and moderate compression ratio. Bigger question is what ECU are you going to use to run it? Note these old first-gen WRX ECUs cannot be reflashed and the JDM ECUs have very aggressive timing since 100oct fuel is available in Japan.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

No, there is no add-on chip. There used to be a guy in France doing a modification like that, that would allow you to reflash them, but that required you sending the ECU there. And, the few K motors I've had in bits did indeed have OE forged pistons in them. How many have you seen in pieces?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I haven't gone into deep research about ecus, I've been researching different engine model builds first so that I know what I want and then figure out what ecu would work best. I don't want to stay with stock jdm ecu because of what research I've gotten into on ecus is that they are tuned for 100 octane and denotation occurred running on 91 octane. Also why I wanted to run a aftermarket ecu so that if I want to run a higher amount of boost I can or swap it to another build. I have read a bunch on the different versions of jdm ej20 and ej20k do have forged pistons and semi closed decks. That's what I liked about them. Also have heard they are very solid motors. Other then ej207 ver 7

Okay just to confirm with what was said that you cannot tune the ej20k ecus. I talked to a buddy that knows all about these and he said with a access port or tactrix cable to flash. Just thought I would spread the information

Your friend is wrong. Only from the GD chassis on can you just plug and play with AP or Opensource. ECUtek might have a solution for the older stuff but then you're tied to this black-box system with no way out.

unsubscribe

After talking to a buddy and doing some research the build has changed. Going to a ej20r converted to a single turbo and possibly upgrade it to a new Subaru turbo. I've great things about these engines and I can find parts that will be more of a direct swap into my bd6 rather then hunting for parts needed for the parts. I know I still will be on the hunt for them but I will have the piece of mind that what I'm swapping in is the same year range and has parts that will be a direct fit into my outback. B-spec model came as a wagon which is what I have so driveline will be the same. I have found a almost complete swap for a little over $3,500. I'm thinking about just going with a standalone ecu to avoid the headache with the jdm ecu. It will allow me to add things that I would like to add on later after the swap and have it be easy to setup. I'm thinking future reference with it so that if I want something more it is possible

Archived