LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

Hey Gator, BtSsm logging in Kline mode (non-CAN) will give you plenty more than just RPM on a 2005 Subaru ECU (USDM, EDM, JDM etc.)

You can either do BtSsm OBDII Bluetooth dongle + Android device, OBDLink LX/MX + Android device, VAG-com cable + USB-OTG adapter + Android device or Tactrix OPv2 + USB-OTG adapter + Android device.

Hey Gator, BtSsm logging in Kline mode (non-CAN) will give you plenty more than just RPM on a 2005 Subaru ECU (USDM, EDM, JDM etc.)

You can either do BtSsm OBDII Bluetooth dongle + Android device, OBDLink LX/MX + Android device, VAG-com cable + USB-OTG adapter + Android device or Tactrix OPv2 + USB-OTG adapter + Android device.

Hi Perscitus,

Thanks, yes, I follow the BtSsm thread. I think what Boxkita was asking for was to have the data appear in the video. He wants to see RPM/Throttle/Brake as graphs in the video like is in the Silver Eagle AIM Smartycam videos posted in the Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still and in my YouTube channel. If there is way to pull that off that would be very cool.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Ah, yeah that will be tricky and likely involve some software that can overlay datalog metrics over video recording of a run and synchronize both. and not just do numbers, but a scrolling plot. Something like that must be out there but its likely $$$, tricky to get talking to specific video editing and logging software or both.

Fascinating Tech Talk on a STI at the pinnacle of development. Note the Murray Constant Tension Turbo Seal clamps, we sell them on our eBay page.

Subaru WRX STI RA Tech Talk.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9v846NQJ0]

[/ame]

CRR eBay page with the Murray Clamps: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing

Ah, yeah that will be tricky and likely involve some software that can overlay datalog metrics over video recording of a run and synchronize both. and not just do numbers, but a scrolling plot. Something like that must be out there but its likely $$$, tricky to get talking to specific video editing and logging software or both.

Izze Racing does his video overlays in MatLab I believe.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

I just heard from Racelogic, I think I have my OBD connection problem solved so I should be able to add RPM. I'll be testing that this afternoon.

Greetings from the Rose Cup!

The competition in the feature Rose Cup Race is a step up from the usual:

215845950_RoseCupFerrarichallengecars.thumb.jpg.d8daf1ac77d87ca5bb9e4f758ebd5d97.jpg

Work of art Prodrive-prepped WRX STI RA. :wub:

Constant 4.5bar (65.3psi) DS system - seems low relative to stock OP

100bar (1,400.4psi) shifter system. :eek:

Edited by SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Ran into a problem during the morning pre race check. I noticed I was low on coolant in the top tank. Discovered the filler neck is cracking off and under pressure the coolant is blowing out. My crew chief (the best track wife ever) is on her way to the Oregon City Subaru dealer to get a new tank. We'll be back in the race for the afternoon race but will miss the morning race.

I think the Mishimoto cap may stick up to tall and ocaassionly the hood vibrates against it. Causing it to crack. Switching to oem cap.20170708_102334.thumb.png.ea3482a88d0466776caf685a5811349e.png

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The short update: Smoke, Oil Mist, No Compression. :mad:

The details:

A couple of stats: Out of 174 entries there were two with 4 doors, mine and a Mazda 6 (in T4 class).

In the feature Rose Cup race there were 4 cars with 4 cyl engines, two of them were Subaru powered, mine and a friend's 818R. By the end of the second race there was 1.

A couple of paddock shots: the Corvettes in Vintage:

y4m_CdCG2L7LY2AbUexqWt3AvXJTA7wU00pJZ37Uzfc1-HEk5UlVBOOs8rZaqWr6tL0FQfV5r1CbEhc6JXAOdRAkBZrEMfY0hoyPupIecAx2siejwTk3fDZGWMbgGFdnEu20mV7pmRgIcK9kBTXjWPQexKEFKKjblogt2jkdQC5VumeNCcqf7td525kZ64OkH0Dil8S8Y1de5wbE5UYNiMaug?width=864&height=405&cropmode=none

The Ferrari Challenge Cars, a couple of them were in my race group:

y4mUUL60VlSUWKO7vUHqk5n0ANApT8Bb-RYOqCW0sU_yg9W8UxYnqcA__99B3ZobNsLXvkxIVFTlgJsvIh57mc_000NdAEesy0B19pQD7qZkiOysBXDEmfU0TgmeJ-6ijqHR1vrpqFyTwLa5D7Og5iFkbsqGPLMfQVaYrzomPIFpfnLYdGfLHl0YrO5aQlW_VjfiUKEbQK_8sW6Vk6cfjRMGQ?width=864&height=360&cropmode=none

My friend's 818R:

y4mZsmLt6T7sCJOb6O-P8WaZ-Uvl0p1g5282foGspcPrU_fd3dZhiRwOTQPRxXcfWKggzu4Ojak9_1HBreGh74qTb79FBMilG9BbnTt8E2Fr1RaD1oenFX9_q-AaqCJ1pGscCRkJActJId0JoKf3NaeX_WMU3AnzjJ306Fv6r9dD_4txePECjWaqmCuLRLUC1zGrEtXRaXGtHo7LT2m3wJpGA?width=864&height=486&cropmode=none

In Grid for Friday Qualifying:

y4mhvdW8lxEj58Q_c-BEF_KG5r_1qSATt492pwHPJe-GUn01KqT94gsw0j-CxzfJMK3ScGzcSeBYer0GsKKX6W7P-1fMVsqjlvcy-9HdeLpi9d2CsGFv2_UowkMQ4rZwpO0UtAM84nfolgFycwH9gVHqhXAbJBB7zbcCjPO2-PAT08D-UOt7LLtan0fCPD9a4pEBT9dUtM6JHT91m3MqkNgdg?width=1152&height=325&cropmode=none

Saturday during Pre-Race check I found the top burp tank was empty. In fact the entire cooling system was basically empty! It took me awhile to figure out the problem, the tank filler neck was cracking off. In the pic you can see slight scratches on the Mishimoto cap, I suspect the hood was occasionally flexing over hard bumps and hitting the top of the cap, which sticks up a bit more then an oem cap:

y4mPeCjMOMCO0OvmS_WrSkeVHIWGkdgIS3XVBK9MeFTeod9-JoK_gxIlIbncX1qdXFnJENThotKjDnG-TZ87jyq5Bh7eWaFD20j4jTgoQSQhhO_wpChPwFtmWhElq40skQaTOXXxYFztweLAH87v1dViX4PNCj-IZNkBksRogG6Y-Hp08YKWM47OpDquK8qaNr9-QlKNTOLMz71Q3xqPmoIQg?width=864&height=733&cropmode=none

y4mw3YuVdrz2LkD3cDHB-nrkhqL7HCoTNigS6FjSIFWBayT46fxfrMrI_f-yBT1zk_D-WOQi2d6g78a7vsoZNdgwRGqR5xsN341MGoCw_0TVgfiLe37jpM59M3h_pCKGLKarKNpE4UZzFEtaA1b4_4Jo5GCAV0N5OLFhEjmbKeeSjagIG3tnOPrGPs086KtF4lJid1_IiY4zfjVJ6U3siE5Mg?width=1024&height=585&cropmode=none

My Crew chief ( the best track wife ever) shot down to Oregon City Subaru to buy the new upgraded STI tank. She got back with the new burp tank just in time to get it on, cycle the engine a few times to burp the air, and make it to the first race.

The new tank is entirely plastic, and on this tank Subaru specs the Non-Eared cap which I thought was weird but maybe because the hoses are connected slightly differently maybe that's the reason so I went with it:

y4monhZBGPkrZS46bqrYdGYjjvD87MM4NSk_C2VN0L2eB8TcmuZtnZff3iyQlxxb_oJ4fWn9SF6833QVIX4jdpBHn2vo1RgSZk8CjFnIKfzQKYu7u3CH423f7gkhdpVgEh5Z5VYJj17YkbMXzkh9hu2sZSAPayA7nKud11orNJuxIfOeNjPZJffEcp7LMe35VT9Ln_40-sEZvl5SHLHgceq_w?width=864&height=581&cropmode=none

I started and stopped the engine several times cycling and refilling the burp tank, but in the rush I may not have done it well enough.

The first couple of laps went great, I was watching the oil and coolant temps and they never went over 216. Then suddenly I was blowing a smoke screen like a WWII destroyer every time I hit the gas and the turbo spooled up. Then the smoke was recirculating into the cabin.

I pulled into the pits thinking I might be on fire, but thankfully no.

The engine was still running so I shut it down and the safety crew confirmed no fire. Towed back to my paddock and tried to diagnose what the heck happened.

NO CEL. I pulled the codes on my Cobb Accessport, No Codes. That's weird, every time I blow an engine it throws a bunch of codes. Also when it turns over they usually sound like a load of rocks crunching around, this time it sounds fine as far as crunching sounds. Engine won't start and seems to have no compression. I start pulling intercooler pipes off and discover the main block port which in an oem car is for the PCV and in my dry sump has a cap; the cap is gone. So the block is seeing positive crankcase pressure which it never should with my Cosworth dry sump system. That explains the smoke trail, blow-by and oil were shooting out the port hitting the turbo and exhaust and making the massive smoke cloud.

The good news: No holes in the block, at least not obvious ones. The DS tank was still full of oil and the oil looked fine, no water in the oil.

We watched the races, packed up and I dropped the car off at Cobb Surgeline for them to figure out what happened.

My best guess now is that despite burping the engine till it showed no more bubbles and wouldn't take any more water, and normal coolant and oil temps on the track, there may have been a air bubble that caused some localized heat damage and blew or burned something out.

To cap off the day I watched the second race with my friend in the 818R. We were both totally out classed by the hyper race cars in our group, but we had extremely close lap times and were looking forward to having a couple of races between us while we watched for the 700-900 HP monsters go by us at light speed.

The race was tough on him too. I was sitting in the stands with the car's owner when he came around with white smoke from the under the hood. We thought he'd popped a radiator hose, but he was actually on fire! It was an electrical fire in the wire harness. Ugly.

So much for the two Subaru powered cars.

Back in the paddock my Crew Chief looks at me and says, "Are you done with turbo Subarus yet, because I sure am!"

Well not quite yet Honey, let's see what the repair is going to be!

I don't what to say. But it sounds like this current engine issue is from human error, and not necessarily unreliable engines?

Unknown. We'll know when Surgeline takes it apart. Their initial thought was a timing belt issue.

How would a timing belt issue cause smoke though?

I don't know if you were able to tell, but what was the smoke color?

Sorry, I guess I should have explained that. The dry Sump should keep the block in vacuum, so there are caps on the normal PCV port and two of the head ports. The cap on the PCV port was gone, and the oil blow-by mist was covering the turbo and exhaust, hence the smoke generator. At least that's where I *think* the smoke was coming from.

Why the block went to positive pressure and blew the cap off is the question. And why it has no compression. Surgeline should get to it later next week. I'm in no rush because no matter what the budget is now totally blown for 2017.

Anybody want a 2008 Spec B, I'm looking at all offers now!

Totally get the oil mist/turbo-produced smoke.

What I find strange is that it was running fine when you shut it down, but it wouldn't restart.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Sorry to read this, Sgt. Gator. Was hoping this engine would be the right solution.

Just to be clear, I'm not interested in either car. Although, I'm very curious about the failure cause.

The box of rocks I bought has a blue gates timing belt on it. That's shredded, whether from the idler letting loose or belt failure is unclear.

Mary Fields uses the HKS belt, so far, with good success.

Do you get the full gates blue timing belt kit or just the belt with idlers from somewhere else?

unless it seized after shutdown?

It's not seized, it spins over fine and has fuel pressure. But it doesn't even try to sputter or cough. Like there is zero spark or zero compression.

I've decided I will fix this car and get it running 100%. Then I'll either sell it and be done with Subarus or keep it for ST class and ST3 endurance racing. As long as Subaru of Bend keeps sponsoring me I'm still in the Subaru game.

In the future if I ever get another race car it will have the following check boxes:

1) Built as a race car from the ground up. Tube frame, no Production cars turned into race cars ever again, (unless it's a sponsorship requirement, which entirely changes the list!).

2) Naturally Aspirated. No more Turbos, they more than double the complexity, failure points, cost, and workload.

3) As light as possible. 2000 lbs for the car, and 2200 lbs with driver is the limit. Preferably under 1700 lbs for the car. This reduces consumables cost by 50% over a 3200 lb STI or Corvette. The same gallon of gas goes for 7-8 minutes vs 4 mins in the STI. And if it's pump gas in an NA car that drops the total cost for gas by about 75%! Tires, Brake Pads, Rotors all last much longer at 1,800 lbs.

Nice to have: Sequential gearbox. Pump gas 92 octane.

So what's on that list?

Any Radical. There's a bunch for sale now including a couple of SR8 ( V8 Hayabusa based engines, insane power to weight). Although the SR3 with a regular Hayabusa engine is only 3-5 seconds a lap slower that the SR8 and is much cheaper to rebuild. The Radical SR8 has owned the Nuburgring "production" car class record since 2009, which is an incredibly long time for such a coveted record. Yes, they make a SR8 you can drive on the street in Europe, sort of.

Palatov, almost any of the non turbo ones. The bonus is the "factory" is in Portland if things go wrong.

Superlite SLC and Superlite Aero. The Aero is especially compelling as it checks off every box except the room for a CoolShirt cooler! LS powered NA by Katech. Graziano tranny.

Factory Five Type 65 (Daytona) Coupe. It misses the 2000 lb weight box by 600 lbs, but has this added bonus: When we got home from this latest debacle my Crew Chief wife was looking thru the latest Grass Roots Motorsports magazine and says "Hey Honey, how about this one? I like it!" She was looking at a Factory Five ad for the Type 65 Coupe. Must keep the Crew Chief Happy. :)

Factory Five 818R with a Subaru NA motor. No Turbo.

And then to freak me out I came across a Radical that had been converted to a Subaru Turbo engine! :eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122580611513?forcerRptr=true&item=122580611513&frommaketrack=true&viewitem=

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TKsAAOSwlndZApeG/s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator