LegacyGT.com

TMIC fan with controller setup

I think I would build a plenum under the TMIC and mount a squirrel cage type of fan in the plenum and pull the air through the TMIC. That's how it's actually designed with the undertray creating a low pressure center underneath the car to help actually pull air in through the scoop. The scoop would actually be more effective if turned around the other way utilizing the cowl of the car as a low pressure (eddy current) area but it probably wouldn't look as cool.

I do have it setup as a puller fan. However, this is truly meant for slow speeds, in the pits, lining up at the tree, traffic, that sort of thing. My understanding is that at high speed the flow actually reverses on our scoop. There was an aftermarket option for the early STi where the scoop was reversed, ARC used to make it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw a guy post this

Hmm, those most be pretty small fans

Tried to wire them up for some testing before work but unfortunately I couldn't find a switched power in the engine bay. I forgot Subaru uses switched grounds so fuses in the engine have power to the all the time. Only ones like horn, defrost and things like that only get power when used. I'll get something going though. New shift and working 2 jobs is starting to take its toll.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it is set up to work full duty. I do have a switch in the cabin so I can do more testing.

I just got back from a wedding last weekend up to Dahlonega Ga with no I'll effects with it operating at highway speeds ~80 MPH. What I'll need to check is, switch it off and see if the temp rises at highway speeds but at this point I think it is a success. Sitting in Atlanta traffic that weekend on the way up with ambient temps @80*F, IAT @132*F and post TMIC @ 106*F, pre TMIC was heatsoaked @147*F.

Unfortunately it only works though with the car running so even at the drag/track this means the IAT will heat soak even though the post temp TMIC hasn't. I am going to try and do some heat shielding near the filter at the bottom keeping the heat from the header off. hopefully that may slow it down a little.

IMAG1930.thumb.jpg.3bcd16395d2574bc19a6355a917f6f3f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So came across someone selling the Spec C intercooler sprayer and it got me on a tangent. I said I didn't want to use a sprayer but after about 2 hours on the internet I have found how to wire in the Spec C sprayer as well as found the "The Intelligent Intercooler Water Spray Controller" from eLabtronics. There is a beautiful write up over at Autospeed, those guys always have great articles. Well, with the eLabtronics system I could use it to control the fan as well as a sprayer system.

As usual I haven't exactly had time as I get distracted with other "modding" if you follow my build thread you'll see I just installed Spec B from LCA, still battling brake shudder and having issues with my tune. Oh, but I did get accepted to UNC Charlotte were I will be pursuing Mechanical Engineering!!

One of the biggest questions I still have is even if this were to become a super system and @80*F ambient and post intercooler @65*F the IAT from the MAF would still be around 85*F the ECU wouldn't know the engine is getting denser air.

The Intelligent Intercooler Water Spray Controller

Intercooler Spray Controller

The 100% CORRECT, Multi-picture, Non-ghetto, STI I/C sprayer installation

Spec C intercooler spray install

After looking into the intercooler spraying stuff quite a bit (and even buying an EDM washer tank for its extra capacity and pump to do it), I just don't think it's worth it. You'd be better off spraying INTO the intercooler in the form of water/meth injection. Spraying onto will work, but the gains are higher all around using the water to directly cool the charge air. With your fan setup you're already attacking heatsoak at low speed, so the gains of the external sprayer won't be as high.

One of the biggest questions I still have is even if this were to become a super system and @80*F ambient and post intercooler @65*F the IAT from the MAF would still be around 85*F the ECU wouldn't know the engine is getting denser air.

You could always remove the IAT wire from the maf connector and install an aftermarket temp sensor post intercooler and connect your IAT wire to the aftermarket sensor. Then you'd just have to adjust all IAT related compensation tables. I'd start by zeroing them out and then change accordingly.

You could always remove the IAT wire from the maf connector and install an aftermarket temp sensor post intercooler and connect your IAT wire to the aftermarket sensor. Then you'd just have to adjust all IAT related compensation tables. I'd start by zeroing them out and then change accordingly.

Have you done this? I have an AEM sensor to put post IC, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I'm worried about the IAT MAF compensations, and if it would be better to plumb this into the EGT sensor input and patch the ROM to pull the timing correction for that memory address instead. Also what did your table end up looking like post IC?

Have you done this? I have an AEM sensor to put post IC, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I'm worried about the IAT MAF compensations, and if it would be better to plumb this into the EGT sensor input and patch the ROM to pull the timing correction for that memory address instead. Also what did your table end up looking like post IC?

I never did this but I've always wanted to. I'm not sure if you can use your egt input though as it is based on resistance rather than voltage.

You could definitely use your tgv input for it to gather data first. In fact, that would be a great experiment. You can log both iat from the maf and then iat post intercooler.

With enough data you could easily change all iat compensation tables. This way you wouldn't have to fear a "guess" and risk damaging the engine.

The stock IAT sensor is based on resistance as well ;)

In both cases there is a ground pin, and the "sensor" pin. Inside the ECU this pin has a resistor that pulls it up to 5V, and the sensor forums the bottom half of a voltage divider. The IAT has it's own pins on the MAF sensor connector, so doesn't use the other ground or voltage supply.

The stock IAT sensor is based on resistance as well ;)

In both cases there is a ground pin, and the "sensor" pin. Inside the ECU this pin has a resistor that pulls it up to 5V, and the sensor forums the bottom half of a voltage divider. The IAT has it's own pins on the MAF sensor connector, so doesn't use the other ground or voltage supply.

I see; I just assumed it was based primarily on voltage like a wideband or oil pressure sender. After reading more I see that it is baaed on voltage and resistance. It would be interesting to see if the egt can be used on 05-06 ecus for an IAT sensor.

I already have and aftermarket temp senor pre and post intercooler. That is a neat idea though.

Archived