LegacyGT.com

Finding pre-turbo exhaust leaks

utc_pyro

So motor is about to be rebuilt, putting equal length headers on in the process.

Problem is the unknown health status of the Grimmspeed uppipe flex joint. If it's fine I'm going Perrin, it it's blown (second set down! :spin:) I'm going Tomei. It sounds like there is an exaust leak pre-turbo ont he passenger side, but I can't pinpoint the location by sound, it's just too loud.

Anyone have a leak finding method? Seafoam for smoke safe with a blown head gasket?

hid_wiring.pdf

If you drop the lower engine cover and get a good light you may be able to see a black soot stain on a flange.

FWIW, I use a Invidia up pipe, no flex joint to leak.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Can't add anything of value here, but I'm suspecting I have such a leak. Slight whistling sound at idle on passenger side. I'm curious to see if there is a more absolute method.

This is more of a raw exhaust sound than a whistle. I've had both the flex joints fail and the manifold - uppipe gasket fail before, and in both cases is was simular to this: just loud exhaust noises. The flex joints had a more metallic rattle sound to them though if I remember correctly...

The gasket failure I found myself by just looking down there and seeing a 1/4" gap between the pipes, the flex joints I had to have the dealer find.

If you drop the lower engine cover and get a good light you may be able to see a black soot stain on a flange.

FWIW, I use a Invidia up pipe, no flex joint to leak.

That would be a great idea if I hadn't jethot coated everything black :spin:.

• 1 month later...

I had a grimmspeed up-pipe on my car that recently failed. Notice a lot of noise and a severe drop in power. I thought the turbo went south but we pulled the up-pipe off and you could shine a flash light through the flex joint and see it clear as day (couldn't really tell with it on the car).

In their defense, it was 6-7 years old and had over 100k miles since I put it on. I just reinstalled the stock up-pipe as I'm probably going to trade the car in soon or later and didn't want to spend the money. Looking at the website, it looks like flex joints now have an inner liner where as mine was just mesh so they've probably addressed the issue.

If your pulling the motor, I'd do the same test. Put a light source inside the up-pipe, if you don't see anything getting through, your fine.

The Tomei EL's I bought came with a new uppipe, so it dosen't matter any more :lol:

Will inspect if when it comes off... My first set was replaced ~2.5 years ago and apprently they used a better felx now.

Edit: it was the turbo-uppipe gasket.

Archived