LegacyGT.com

2006 WRX - better in the metal

Even though the front grille still bugs me a bit, the car looks a lot better IRL than in pictures. The sheet metal looks more solid, especially in the rear 3/4 view. There's an impression of chunkiness that was missing from the earlier models. Nice looking car.

White WRX traveling northbound on DeAnza this morning.

I saw one in a parking lot recently. Definitely much better in person, especially the grill. However, it was instantly clear that any chrome on that grill would make it horrific looking. The new headlights are definitely one of the nicer styling points.

However, it was instantly clear that any chrome on that grill would make it horrific looking. The new headlights are definitely one of the nicer styling points.

actually...the grill looks better IMO with a little chrome

http://www.calgary.subarudealer.ca/Content/7907/Media/General/WebBanner/Impreza2006_safety.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

actually...the grill looks better IMO with a little chrome

http://www.calgary.subarudealer.ca/Content/7907/Media/General/WebBanner/Impreza2006_safety.jpg

opinions differ, but that pic only reinforces my impression.

I saw an Outback Sport in the metal the other day. Don't like the chrome on the center grille.

I want to see a WRX/STI with a CF hood... Partially painted. Leave the scoop and the center detail black CF from the windsheild to the grille. Make the grille inserts CF or matte black, with the rest of the bumper cover and hood painted body color. (contrasting against the grille inserts and nose peice.)

Now this might be a little hard to describe verbally, but I'll try...

On each side of the hood, there is a horizontal section above each of the side grilles, between the center raised part/center grille, and the upward rising side sections, above the headlights.

About 6 inches back from the leading edge of the hood, there should be two extractor vents, the full width of the horizontal sections. The forward edge of the extractor vents should echo the front edge of the hood, making the front of the hood look like the nose and front wing of an F1 car, with the CF/Black nose section, including the center grille, and the extractor vents creating a front wing look to the front of the hood, that re-integrates with normal hood lines above the headlights...

I see it in my head, and it is very agressive, yet purposeful, and it brings the three-peice grille into the rest of the car.

That and a different kind of wing than the WRX's tea-tray, and the STi's bi-plane wing, lowered and wide-track like the Cusco-sponsered road-racer, or the one pictured above, I think would look good.

The only thing better would be a coupe body style, and a slightly less blocky front air dam than the rally-car parts. Something slightly more like the JDM Legacy GT's bumper. Something that cants "back under" from the most forward part of the bumper.

Archived