LegacyGT.com

how to mount OEM badge on aftermarket grill?

jhatfie

What is the best way to go about mounting the OEM grill emblem on a after market grill (RBS in this case)? The emblem is curved inward on the contact side so I am not sure how to make it so it has solid contact for securing it against the grill. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

hmm...

I'd suggest 3M double sided tape (the thick kind) -- i've used it in the past to secure badges to mesh grills and it's worked fine... I dont think the stock badge is too curved to keep it form working.

Just for reference, on the JDM grill (non-replica) - it actually comes with a new subaru badge with clips screwed in tthe back of it. I'm sure you could come up with something to replicate that on your existing badge.

Of course, i'd suggest leaving the badge off - It looks much better left off IMO.

What I am wondering is how the heck to get the badge off the OEM grill anyway. There are two little prongs on the back of it holding it into the emblem inlet. But i have tried everything from a screwdriver to needle nose plyers to pop it out from behind......

Do I have to dremel it out????

mblock66...

take an old credit card and use a sawing action to saw away the goop between the badge and the OEM grill. After a lot of work and prying you will get it off.

As far as attaching that piece to mesh, when making my DIY grill, I went to the hardware store and bought several small nuts, bolts and washers. I then made "pegs" out of them and bolted them to the mesh. I had to put the washers in there to act as spacers to close the gaps and prevent the pegs from moving in and out. I then epoxied the badge to the pegs. It has been on there for ~3 months with no problems. I have close up pics if you need them.

I took 2 paper clips, taped them to the back of the badge using that strong gray double sided 3m tape. Then I bent the paper clips back, put them thru the mesh, & twisted the 2 ends together with pliers till the badge wash tight to the grill. Looks fine, worked fine. Ran in thru the car wash to check it out & it was fine. I know that's a welfare way to do it but who cares. Pretty easy to do & it works.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I took 2 paper clips, taped them to the back of the badge using that strong gray double sided 3m tape. Then I bent the paper clips back, put them thru the mesh, & twisted the 2 ends together with pliers till the badge wash tight to the grill. Looks fine, worked fine. Ran in thru the car wash to check it out & it was fine. I know that's a welfare way to do it but who cares. Pretty easy to do & it works.

Good idea as well. If you ever want to get a stronger adhesive than the tape, I suggest epoxy adhesive. Just don't use your finger to hold the paperclip to the badge while the epoxy is setting ;)

The "strong grey 3M double-sided tape" is called "automotive trim tape."

It is much, much, much stronger than your typical "heavy duty double-sided tape."

This is what holds on many door moldings/guards, as well as serves to stabilize and provide main surface-adhesion for much aftermarket and dealer-installed body trim, such as spoilers and ground-effects.

Look for it in either the trim or adhesives/tapes section of your local automotive store - if you don't see it, ASK someone. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ :lol:

I knew I should have written that part in l33t. :lol:

(side-note/addition: Most spoilers and heavier aero-trim are also bolted on, but "trim tape" is used for main surface adhesion. )

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think that I am going to try to epoxy two small wire tie down hoops to the inside section on the emblem and then zip tie it to the grill. Figure that should be nice and secure and easy to remove from the grill in case I decide to make it naked later.

jhatfie,

That's almost what I did for my "STi" badge - which is affixed to the stock grill in such a manner.

I first made two "runners" using daisy-chained Zip-Ties, and then ran that off of, in turn, two of the vertical "struts" within the stock grill. The "STi" badge, which itself uses 3M double-sided Automotive Moulding Tape (as with all OEM badges), was then affixed to the horizontal "runners." I then reinforced this junction by putting down a layer of the trim/moulding tape over the rear of the badge/Zip-Tie combo, thereby "sealing" the rear of the setup.

----

Note to all - that "trim tape" is also alternately referred to as "mo(u)lding tape." :)

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think that I am going to try to epoxy two small wire tie down hoops to the inside section on the emblem and then zip tie it to the grill. Figure that should be nice and secure and easy to remove from the grill in case I decide to make it naked later.

Seems like just as good of a solution as any mentioned here. Good luck and be creative!

Archived