LegacyGT.com

Blacked Out Window Trim?

I'm pretty sure some of you guys have attempted to black out the window trim on our legacy. I'm wondering if anyone have a tutorial on how to start it and work it through. I'm sure this project is pretty tedious but I can't stand the chrome. Already blacked out the front grill so that only leaves me with these windows trim left.

I'm not sure exactly where you squeeze in the excess vinyl?

I'll be putting on in-channel visors as well hoping it won't interfere with the vinyl?

How long of a roll of vinyl should I get?

I went the plasti dip route. Next time im planning on removing them and sanding them a bit and permanently blacking them out. Someone posted a tutorial on removing the trim. Don't have the link handy though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

I went the plasti dip route. Next time im planning on removing them and sanding them a bit and permanently blacking them out. Someone posted a tutorial on removing the trim. Don't have the link handy though.

I dipped mine, took about 6 hours.

How many coats and wait time did you guys end up doing? 10, or 20 mins? 4-5 coats?

I did searched. I use "window trim, black out window trim, plasti dip window, vinyl window trim, and vinyl" and didnt even see this page! thanks tho!

Ahhh, you probably used the forum search tool, which is terrible. See this -> http://bfy.tw/5ldJ (just a Google search) appears to find the appropriate threads pretty quickly using your search string.

I think i did about 5 coats. 15 mins each. I was doing one side of the car at a time. The one thing I learned from my experience is tha right after you put the last coat, remove any masking tape. If you let it dry up, you have a chance of pulling the dip up. If you remove the tape while its still wet, it comes right off nice and clean.

Ahhh, you probably used the forum search tool, which is terrible. See this -> http://bfy.tw/5ldJ (just a Google search) appears to find the appropriate threads pretty quickly using your search string.

lol. yeah I've been using the forum search tools. I mean, I found stuff pretty well but didnt come across the one you posted. thanks tho.

I think i did about 5 coats. 15 mins each. I was doing one side of the car at a time. The one thing I learned from my experience is tha right after you put the last coat, remove any masking tape. If you let it dry up, you have a chance of pulling the dip up. If you remove the tape while its still wet, it comes right off nice and clean.

Thanks. Last coat will be when I remove the tape. I heard you should open the door during like 3 coats in before it sticks. Is that correct in your experience?

4 coats, anymore than that and the dip doesn't flatten out enough. Make sure the temp is at least 65F while you spray and keep the can warm and well shaken. Clean out the nozzle after each coat by holding it upside down and spraying for 2-3 seconds or until dip stops coming out.

How well did this hold up? I've dipped wheels and grills before that held up really well through car washes and salt filled winters.

Last night i did a test spot on the chrome trim. It looked great but it peeled off really easily since it was touching the rubber trim next to the gladd. Id hate to put the time into this, then have a car wash destroy it all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I dipped my window trim kinda like the STI's, where the bottom chrome piece is still chrome. About 4-5 coats, and after that I get some quick wax, spray a little on a micro and wipe it down. Takes away the tacky kinda feel, gives it a smoother finish imo. I do the same for the grill and whatever else I dip and it always holds up really well, plus waxing it after makes it easier to get bugs etc. off of it when it gets dirty. As mentioned before, make sure the tape is peeled right after your last coat, I have a few tiny spots where it dried quicker than other spots which resulted in the tape pulling some edges. Just take your time with the tape job :] Had the window trim dipped for over a year still looks good

I wrapped my chrome, well girlfriend did, and it was very tedious. I have no patients for that. It came out good looking from a distance but I can see imperfections up close and it really bugs me. So I'll probably take my time sometime this summer, and try dipping it again, the first time I did it was terrible, tape kept peeling it up in places. Didn't know about the peel the tape on the last coat. Though when I was dipping my rear bumper, I applied the last coat and started to the pull the tape and it still pulled up some of the dip. I don't know, maybe I'll just terrible at this. But I did see a video where a guy taped off, dipped a coat, peeled the tape right away, let it dry, re tape, another coat, rinse and repeat, which I may end up doing.

What's wrong with the wrap? If it's just bubbles, give it some time. They'll go away eventually.

Not bubbles, just certain parts weren't cut to length, so like a sliver of chrome is showing. I could just do that part over, but I'd have to order more wrap. I'm anal about that stuff. But I like the way the dip came out on my grille and wheels.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Archived