LegacyGT.com

Getting pins out of ECM / ECU plugs

How do I extract individual pins from the plugs on the ECM harness connectors?

I want extract all the female pins from these connector, inspect, clean, test for grip on a male counterpart pin, possibly tighten (as required), and reassemble in same order... not wanting to mangle this job.

I notice a clip on the side of the plug. As shown, I am able to pry the clip up a bit so it is popped out of the plug maybe 1/8"...

What's the clip for? Does it need to come all the way out? It seems to be a cage / holder maybe only for the smaller pins.

I notice there are rows of "bigger" pins on these connectors, and many rows of "tiny" pins. The tiny pins each have a teeny tiny hole under them... I want to get all pins out, big and small.

plug.jpg.6ab2fb0ac425591ecfd8defd519a8cad.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Goldmine!

Found it.

There's a PDF from the manufacturer of these connectors that says how to assemble and disassemble, including pin extraction diagrams, etc

This is the exact ECU connector on my car:

http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-1376430-8.html#pdp-docs-features

scroll to bottom, of this page, see the "Instruction Sheets" section, first link there is a PDF shows everything I needed to know!

Explains the clip on the side of the connector.

Pins cannot be inserted from the back without that clip being popped up,

which means they also cannot be extracted without it being popped up.

There's a special tool to slip into the teeny tiny hole underneath each 025 receptacle hole you insert in there, straight in.. it presses a flap down on the pin, and pull the pin out from its wire on the back.

Wow... this is great.

harness.thumb.PNG.c7546936cb27ca7c1cca7aabcddbb2f4.PNG

harnessB.PNG.7f852a4f950acc5b3439cd9d446c6d7c.PNG

harnessC.PNG.7d3bbb0ef6664fc2cde2e7c72181d825.PNG

extract025.thumb.PNG.3a35676be78bee68ec805756609b7523.PNG

extract025b.PNG.c0dba6bfde02ba7bba9cc00862648df3.PNG

extract040.thumb.PNG.5b075ecd26ec73906ebcf09fdb760da8.PNG

Love real companies that have engineering drawings for everything.

Here's the tool for extracting the 025 pins..

The tool must be 0.8 x 0.5 rectangle shaped prong... by the looks of it, enough to stick in 7mm deep

tool.thumb.PNG.bb987a0c2268dd5cae9120fa7e8c918f.PNG

Made my own damn tool... from a used dental pick and a dremmel with a flat grinder disc, and a flat file, and a steady hand and about an hour later... I got me this!

A tool to stick in the teeny tiny hole underneath each of smaller (025 sized) pins on the ECU plugs, yippee!

IMG_4791.JPG.726cba423b4165d2f6b76519c7303d96.JPG

Here's a 3D model of the pin (Amp part number 1123343) that this tool extracts from the ECU harness.

You can search Digikey and others and find this part... about 10 cents to 15 cents per each. If you're lucky you can find gold plated ones to match the few gold plated pins on the ECU for critical systems (drive by wire). There's a dash extension at the end of the part number to indicate its plating type, tin or gold.

When you open this PDF, click to "activate" it, then you can spin the object and zoom in / out to see how the pin is constructed.

Pretty cool!

1123343pin.pdf

For completeness, here are the other (bigger) pins in the same plugs.

These are 040 pins.. Amp part number 316836 can also be found at Digikey.

Note, these larger pins are extracted a different way, using a 1 mm tip width jewellers flathead screwdriver. And see those PDFs upthread as to how to get them out. Yes, 1 mm exactly (no larger). It could be smaller by a bit, but not larger. The screwdriver head has to fit between walls of the pin that are dimensioned 1 mm allowance.

Here's the 3D model of those pins:

316836pin.pdf

Armed with all this, I tried to get pins out of ECU.

Grabbed a plug and pulled it from the ECU. Popped the plastic clip on the plug up, at its pry points indicated with "tear drop" symbols, and extracted a few 'practice pins' like a charm.. on several random tries on a few plugs.

BUT when I tried to get the pins out of the B plug that I actually needed to get (throttle sensor pins all on plug B)... I repeated these steps with my new found confidence, but .. no joy. I cannot pull the pins out from the back using reasonable force, if I pulled any harder I'd be ripping the wires out.. so I gave up.

What I think happened was, when I didn't know the pop-up clip was designed to do I tried to pry it completely out with force and probably raised it too high which deformed things inside the plug - the tiny plastic catch mechanisms.. for every pin.

Read the notes in the AMP manual about these plugs, and they say, "don't lift the clip out too far" ... probably good reason for such comment.

My only recourse of action to now is to cut off B plug, get a new plug and all new pins, and recrimp each pin to its wire and insert these new pins into the new plug. The plug is an AMP part number, and probably available somehow.

Lesson: don't pull the plastic clip up more than about 1 mm from its snapped down position.

Archived