LegacyGT.com

Help! No Tach, speedo, dash lights, blower fans

So basically, i was trying to do some abs diagnostic and like a total noob i shorted something out. So the back lights to the dash work, headlights, door lights, fog lights, mirrors, auto start, almost everything works perfectly except for the noted. Even the engine still starts and idles/drives perfectly fine. So the blower fans, tachometer, speedo, fuel(?), temp gauge, all the "safety" lights you would call them? From my own personal researching i was thinking it would be the illumination module controller but i just need a second opinion on this.

Nope none at all

I doubt the problem is the "illumi" unit as the manual calls it. If I were you I'd start pulling fuses and relays and replace anything in question even if it looks ok, they are cheap enough that I'd just do it in order to know it's not the problem, you know? Since there wasn't any burnt connections as far as we know, I wouldn't start replacing hard parts such as the ilummi units yet. I had a similar problem with mine a while back and I replaced the illumi unit right away as well but it didn't do anything, it turns out that the thin circuit board on the back of my instrument panel shorted, but that smoked a lot so there was no way for me to not notice it.

Oh right I forgot to include that. Uh I already checked all the fuses they seemed fine to me VISUALLY. So to double check I took a spare fuse from the fuse box under the hood and replaced the fuse #20 from the wiring diagram as they say that was the thing that connected it to the combination meter as Subaru calls it. Still Nada.

You could check for burnt wiring/plugs but sounds like the short most likely killed the illumi module then.
I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

Fuses can also look good but still be bad, out of experience, when I got my car a few things weren't working but all the fuses looked good, I replaced the ones in question even if they looked good and then everything worked.

Yeah so i borrowed a multimeter from my uncle today to check the fuses. Set it to ohms and basically no resistance which means that the fuses are working? So im getting the illumi module this thursday and will see how it goes

Update: Apparently the power windows also dont work? I dont know why i havent tried that at first but now that i do it apparently died too... Im pretty sure the Illumination module doesn't control that so now im confused.

It sounds like either a few blown fuse or some unit is dead and it's making other stuff act weird. For example when your HVAC control unit dies, your turn signals and rear washer pump wont work. It's just a domino affect, I'd still check all the fuses first.

Archived