LegacyGT.com

Turbo Oil Return Hose

Ok. I have a what-if kinda question about our turbos. Other than blowing a turbo seal and possibly leaking, what could be some performance issues/symptoms of a kinked/twisted oil return hose? Teach me please.

VF-52 and all associated bits tuned by Tuning Alliance.

:cool:

That hose is not that long and easy to install. How on earth did you get to the point where you think yours is kinked/twisted ?

If you did that, it would not let oil drain back into the head, that oil would blow past the seals in the turbo.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

god only knows at this point. I have my suspicions though. Took the car to a local shop to install a Mishimoto turbo inlet. People warned me not to go there, so it is definitely my fault. One of those "Fool me once" kinda ordeals. I suppose they turned the turbo a bit to install the inlet(for whatever reason). Car wasn't smoking or anything. I did have oil press fluctuations though. Replaced a sensor and it appeared that the problem went with it. Took the car in to Subaru to give the suspension a once-over for unrelated reasons. The mech lead me out and showed it to me. The thing is certainly ringed like a wet rag. Possibly allowing just enough pressure to pass without hurting the turbo.

No reason to touch/move the turbo for an inlet install. I didn't even lift my manifold to get the OEM installed. Not sure what the heck they could have done to the line. I assume this would have been notices when swapping in the 52 if this happened prior to the mech's touching it.

Your close to TA in CT, PM Brian or Mike and ask him for the name and address of the Subaru Tech in Coventry CT.

If you don't know Mike of TA he's someone your going to want to get to know.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks. I've worked with Mike a couple times with this car already. Note the signature. I have a few Subbie mechs that I trust locally. They are dealer techs though. Dealerships can kinda get expensive. That's the only reason I didn't go to them first. Trying to save a few bucks ended up costing me more. Should be sorted soon enough, and then me and Mike can continue with my e-tune..

The Tech Mike knows works out of his own place, not a dealership. I think he's on south street in Coventry. Ask Mike if you'd like to check him out.

god only knows at this point. I have my suspicions though. Took the car to a local shop to install a Mishimoto turbo inlet. People warned me not to go there, so it is definitely my fault. One of those "Fool me once" kinda ordeals. I suppose they turned the turbo a bit to install the inlet(for whatever reason). Car wasn't smoking or anything. I did have oil press fluctuations though. Replaced a sensor and it appeared that the problem went with it. Took the car in to Subaru to give the suspension a once-over for unrelated reasons. The mech lead me out and showed it to me. The thing is certainly ringed like a wet rag. Possibly allowing just enough pressure to pass without hurting the turbo.

What shop?

We have a tech now that can help on your issues that works out of Coventry.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
Had some time to rack my brain and figure some things out. When my original turbo popped I replaced it with the VF-52. When I got it, it didn't have any oil lines, etc. I bought a set of oil lines from Kinugawa and put them on (correctly). The metal tube on the bottom of the turbo is angled. I had it on correct. The shop I took it to to fix a leak at that location (bad clamp). They told me it was on backwards. I was new to subaru turbos, so sure, it was possible. They turned it. Mind you, this was about a year ago. And bingo. This is when my problems started. After chasing oil problems all across the engine I decided to take it to the stealership (present). One visual inspection later and they found the kinked hose. They replaced the hose and turned the metal tube. Most problems seem to have subsided. For now. The shop that messed it up isn't the one that I thought it was. It was a small shop in Norwich that has since closed. The other shop that I thought had done it gets a lot of bad rep. Surprised it wasn't them. Times like these is when I wish I had a garage, or even a driveway. Living in an apartment sucks.

Archived