LegacyGT.com

Question about Legacy/Outback and ESC/VDC

TheGhzGuy

Hello all!

I'm going to be buying a Subaru Legacy soon, for my son. (Just turned 16 and he loves cars, and it seems the Legacy is his top pick) The thing is, he is concerned about driving a car without ESC. My question is which model years of Subaru Legacy came with ESC? (Models is helpful to) I'm not sure it's so necessary on a car like a Legacy. (Low CG, AWD, only about 170 HP) However, I have to keep in mind he is only 16, and teenagers, at this age, aren't always the smartest when making decisions on the road. (Better than most though)(Just FYI, the Outback is also a consideration. It just comes down to price)

Anyway, sorry to bother you all, and thank you for the help!

I believe from 08 the Legacy 2.5 limited had VDC with traction control. Personally, I can attest to the earlier legacy being pretty darn hard to lose control of, but not impossible in the right/wrong weather. Keep good tires on any of them and it won't be an issue...your kid trying to impersonate Ken Block though is all on you! Good luck and happy hunting.

Here is a great resource for information and options available as well as changes by model and year.

http://www.cars101.com

My 170hp with a manual transmission will pretty much only spin the tires on ice or in snow. Even if it does spin it's pretty controlled, IMO ESC isn't necessary. I tried slipping the clutch on 5000rpm launch in the rain and tires didn't seem to slip an inch. The newer 2015+ have VDC which use the brakes to control the stability, which is a worthwhile feature.

I believe from 08 the Legacy 2.5 limited had VDC with traction control. Personally, I can attest to the earlier legacy being pretty darn hard to lose control of, but not impossible in the right/wrong weather. Keep good tires on any of them and it won't be an issue...your kid trying to impersonate Ken Block though is all on you! Good luck and happy hunting.

Here is a great resource for information and options available as well as changes by model and year.

www.cars101.com

I found a 2009 for 3600, so I'll try getting it this weekend. I knew they were hard cars to unsettle, it's just more for his confidence (and my peace of mind as well)

I'll be sure to use that website in the future!

My 170hp with a manual transmission will pretty much only spin the tires on ice or in snow. Even if it does spin it's pretty controlled, IMO ESC isn't necessary. I tried slipping the clutch on 5000rpm launch in the rain and tires didn't seem to slip an inch. The newer 2015+ have VDC which use the brakes to control the stability, which is a worthwhile feature.

Well good to know. Maybe if I get an earlier one it won't be such a big deal. I did find an 09 for 3600, so I'll try picking that up this weekend.

It's all about tires and weather...I got my forester 2.5x sideways once in the beginning of a short rain storm, on purpose though the tires were old and wearing out. When I put a new set on the fun was over :( lol! Keep the tires fresh and you won't have a worry.

It's all about tires and weather...I got my forester 2.5x sideways once in the beginning of a short rain storm, on purpose though the tires were old and wearing out. When I put a new set on the fun was over :( lol! Keep the tires fresh and you won't have a worry.

Alright then, so maybe it would be OK to get an 06, 07, or 08. Certainly makes searching for the car much easier.

Seriously, thanks a ton for your help and experience!

Archived