LegacyGT.com

Symptoms of Timing Belt failure?

Are there any tell tale signs or symptoms of a bad timing belt? My car is approaching the 100k mark, and I had it since 89k I believe. Gave it an oil change and new plugs and air filter since then. I have the car fax report for it, but it doesn't say what's been done to it, just dates that it got serviced. And the dealer didn't have any information. So I have no idea if maintenance has been kept up before me. Honestly I'm really just worried about timing belt and components. Should I save up and just have it done for piece of mind? I'm also aware that my clutch should probably be done. TOB squeals when cold start. I believe I should take care of these issues before continuing mods, konis and new wheels and tires next. Springs are waiting in the garage.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

You're close enough to that mark that you should get it done. Mine skipped 1 tooth and I had a lot of low power issues as a result but in reality, I was lucky. When a timing belt takes a dump on an interference engine, you've got major repairs coming. Plan for a tensioner and probably water pump as well.

Are there any tell tale signs or symptoms of a bad timing belt? My car is approaching the 100k mark, and I had it since 89k I believe. Gave it an oil change and new plugs and air filter since then. I have the car fax report for it, but it doesn't say what's been done to it, just dates that it got serviced. And the dealer didn't have any information. So I have no idea if maintenance has been kept up before me. Honestly I'm really just worried about timing belt and components. Should I save up and just have it done for piece of mind? I'm also aware that my clutch should probably be done. TOB squeals when cold start. I believe I should take care of these issues before continuing mods, konis and new wheels and tires next. Springs are waiting in the garage.

That "start squeal" when cold may not be the TOB might be the typical starter squeal that most of us higher milage crew have experienced. A little grease on the starter bendix fixes that. Mine does it on cold/dewy days as with numerous others. I try to just bump start it and not hold the key as long. I'm a little overdue for the timing belt and it scares the shit outta me to push it hard at all. It's barely seen more than 8 psi in months. It's on the purchase list but I'm still debating how I'm gonna accomplish the job me or a shop. I'm confident in my wrenching ability and with the FSM on my side just time is the problem.

That "start squeal" when cold may not be the TOB might be the typical starter squeal that most of us higher milage crew have experienced. A little grease on the starter bendix fixes that. Mine does it on cold/dewy days as with numerous others. I try to just bump start it and not hold the key as long. I'm a little overdue for the timing belt and it scares the shit outta me to push it hard at all. It's barely seen more than 8 psi in months. It's on the purchase list but I'm still debating how I'm gonna accomplish the job me or a shop. I'm confident in my wrenching ability and with the FSM on my side just time is the problem.

Oh I def have the starter squeal. I'm talking a different noise, when I let the clutch out. When depressed the noise goes away.

So timing belt, pulley, water pump, clutch. Anything else while I'm in there to buy ahead of time? It would be my first time doing it, unless I have a shop do it, though I should have all the tools I need to DIY

Thermostat since you're there and not sure on the timing guides most chain drive engines it's a must but most belt engines I've left alone unless they were damaged. This also would be a good time to inspect the cam seals and crank seals (front and rear "main" - if there is one, not seen the backside of an EJ before). As well as valve cover and oil pan gaskets. Because it would suck to do all that work and then have to pull the engine again because of a leaky seal/gasket. From what I've read though most haven't or don't changed the seals unless 1. Leaking or 2. Doing a cam swap/top end or full rebuild so you should be good. Also not sure about 5th gens but in other areas of this forum and other forums there's quite a few bad reviews of the gates WP and there's also quote a few good reviews. So I'm not sure if some of the problems have been the installers or what but if anyone has experience in this on a 5th gen please chime in because I'm on the fence on which way to go myself. I know the OEM is ideal but $140 is quite steep compared to the other options available.

Oh and TSK3 kit for the trans is a good idea if your doing the clutch.

Archived