LegacyGT.com

Fuji cuts ties with GM, joins Toyota

Rimfaxe

I'm scared.

- What influence will Toyota try to exert over Subaru? GM largely left Subaru alone, but will Toyota to the same?

- If Toyota DOES take Subaru's AWD system and put it on their own cars, what is this going to do to Subaru sales? I can see the unwashed masses (read: C&D, MT) clammoring over a numb AWD Lexus GS. "It has the performance of Subaru's AWD, but with Lexus "refinement"!"

- Who's going to grab the rest of the stock?

I don't see this as good news, necessarily. Toyota might really screw things up for Subaru.

I'm scared.

- What influence will Toyota try to exert over Subaru? GM largely left Subaru alone, but will Toyota to the same?

GM's effect on Subaru is largely unapparent as there was nothing really that GM could offer Subaru other than market penetration. GM was the 'gold digger' in this relationship.

- If Toyota DOES take Subaru's AWD system and put it on their own cars, what is this going to do to Subaru sales? I can see the unwashed masses (read: C&D, MT) clammoring over a numb AWD Lexus GS. "It has the performance of Subaru's AWD, but with Lexus "refinement"!"

Same thing will happen that happened with GM and their shortcut of adding AWD to their cars. Most likely, As with GM their AWD alternatives will be far more expensive than Suby's standard offerings. As on every car BUT subies AWD becomes an Option, not standard. Interior refinement..thats far easier to achive at cost than adding drivetrane systems.. that becomes a matter of re-engineering the vehicles around the drive train. I Don't see Toyoto and Subaru swapping these types of things. Most likely it is to help eachothers Hybrid development. Oh yeah, One thing we got that will spell the real difference, again just as it did with GM (search for "Travic") Boxer engines.

- Who's going to grab the rest of the stock?

GM is 'supposed' to release it on the open market, but that may change.

I don't see this as good news, necessarily. Toyota might really screw things up for Subaru.

Can't be any worse than GM's affliliation with Subaru which was seemingly squandered and all take take take by GM. I'm simply happy that there is no more affiliation between GM and Subaru, I don't want GM's poor management, and 'Dispassionate out of touch with their constomer' attitude tainting my Subaru.

Archived