LegacyGT.com

Vf52 Questions

Looking to switch to a VF52, I plan on blocking off the wastegate and going with an EWG. I'm not trying to buy a brand new turbo unless it's an eBay one, but how are the reliability of rebuilt turbos?

As long as it's from a reputable source they are very good. I got mine from Pure Turbo's in Southern California. JMP (user on this site), also rebuilds them. A bunch of users are running them with nothing but the best to say about JMPs rebuilt VF52s.

My vf52 has over 82,000 mile on it. works great. That's with stock fueling

Contact www.tuningalliance.com before you spend your money, only buy what you need. A EWG may not be the best choice, ask him for guidance. He has great pricing too.

Mike is one of the best Tuners for these cars.

Oh, be careful what you buy off ebay. These cars are picky and for some reason, in my 10+ years here, ebay and #YNANSB, (you need a new short block) seem to end up in the same post.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oh, be careful what you buy off ebay. These cars are picky and for some reason, in my 10+ years here, ebay and #YNANSB, (you need a new short block) seem to end up in the same post.

My Ebay chinacharger is actually holding up pretty well. That said, do I trust it to keep working well? Not in the slightest, I'm waiting on some gaskets, and a few nice days when I don't especially need to go anywhere to install the OEM VF40 I picked up along with up and downpipes.

My vf52 has over 82,000 mile on it. works great. That's with stock fueling

Contact www.tuningalliance.com before you spend your money, only buy what you need. A EWG may not be the best choice, ask him for guidance. He has great pricing too.

Mike is one of the best Tuners for these cars.

I've heard of boost creep issues due to the IWG

I've heard of boost creep issues due to the IWG

I'll refer you to the experts on that one, contact http://www.tuningalliance.com Mike did my tune and just had the wagon for a few day;s last week. He has recent logs from my car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do NOT buy a turbo off ebay. I repeat do NOT.

Going with the ihi vf52 is the only way to go. You can toss on an upgraded actuator arm to help with any issues or tapering. If you find a blown vf52 thats not too bad, we can rebuild it for you with original ihi parts.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here are the differences with the stock actuator vs a turbosmart on 11lb spring. (green line boost, see minimal dropoff).

vf52

08_LGT_boost_afr_old_vs_new_tune_95_smooth.pdf

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do NOT buy a turbo off ebay. I repeat do NOT.

Going with the ihi vf52 is the only way to go. You can toss on an upgraded actuator arm to help with any issues or tapering. If you find a blown vf52 thats not too bad, we can rebuild it for you with original ihi parts.

-Brian

Time to start looking for a blown one, what characteristics make a turbo unsalvageable?

Here are the differences with the stock actuator vs a turbosmart on 11lb spring. (green line boost, see minimal dropoff).

vf52

Is the VF52 still acceptably efficient making that boost up top, and with a TMIC like the Perrin? I'm pretty sure I can tune the boost to stay above 16-16.5 psi up top but have it tapering to just under 15 mainly b/c so many others seem to have a similar taper (either b/c the stock actuator causes it or the tuner chose to do it that way for reasons other than running out of injector).

I'm running DW740s and a DW65c so I think I have enough fueling (also have a AEM X-Series WBO2 to monitor/log), so I guess I could always turn it up a bit and watch IAT and IDC/AFR. I have a GM/AEM IAT sensor tapped into the underside of my TMIC's outlet end tank so it would be pretty easy to compare post-IC IAT to previous logs in similar conditions.

Archived