LegacyGT.com

Back again!

I'm not sure if anyone here remembers me, I was on here not too long ago with my '96 Legacy L. I previously had a '97 Legacy L. Well now I have a 2000 Legacy L. It's actually in pretty good shape! The body is very fair, and it runs great! The interior is in great shape just needs cleaned up, my grandmother was the previous owner and was also a smoker so it's a little dirty inside, but nothing that won't wipe off with a rag. I'm sure I'll be asking various questions here and there. Just wanted to share.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thing works great but pick a scent you would like

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G16402-Whole-Refresher-Eliminator/dp/B00G49DVGG]Amazon.com: Meguiar's G16402 Whole Car Air Refresher Odor Eliminator (New Car Scent) - 2.5 oz.: Automotive[/ame]

Make sure you wipe down the insides of the windows well, all that grease from the smoke cakes up on them.

save up and have the inside detailed.

all hard surfaces washed.

all soft surfaces shampooed.

smoke leaves a film on everything.

perfuming the air wiil help,

but removing the residue will speed up the process.

save up and have the inside detailed.

all hard surfaces washed.

all soft surfaces shampooed.

smoke leaves a film on everything.

perfuming the air wiil help,

but removing the residue will speed up the process.

Yep. All the smoke that isn't coating the seats, windows, and dash rises up to the headliner.

Thanks everyone for the input! I detail my own cars and I will on my next day off. I even have a portable steam cleaner! Sadly my freaking shop vac died on me.. I only had the damn thing a year and it was a real shop vac brand. Anyhow I have access to a good little dust buster that does the job just fine. I usually spend a good 6 hours on a detail. I remove the seats and everything! Anyhow, my car leaks oil decently rapidly. I pulled it up on the rack today and took a look, and it seems it's leaking in a few different places. The valve cover gaskets for sure, but also the head seems to be leaking oil. I've seen the head gasket done on a 2007 and it doesn't look all that hard. Is it a similer process on the 2000? Thanks for the info everyone!

I've seen the head gasket done on a 2007 and it doesn't look all that hard. Is it a similer process on the 2000?
i'm not familiar with the 07,

but it cannot be dramatically different.

the head bolt torque procedure is more like, the same as the 90s, not the 05+ cars.

so read up on that.

the 00 - 03 cars have a history of bad head gaskets, with external leaks.

but coolant is more common than oil.

oil is also possible.

there is a ''coolant conditioner'' sold by the dealer that is REALLY good with coolant leaks.

in some cases, 2 bottles added to the cooling system has been known to stop head gasket coolant leaks.

and if you have to replace the gaskets after using the conditioner,

just be sure to ''flush'' the cooling system, radiator and heater core, when you drain it.

USUALLY, both the coolant and oil leaks on the head gaskets are very slow growing external leaks.

this usually means that as long as you keep the cooling system and the engine oil level full,

you can drive for a long time as it is.

practically speaking,

it means you can take your time to schedule your gasket replacement.

the gasket leak is not critically time sensitive.

just check your fluids regularly.

double check the leaks.

Thank you for the info! It's leaking oil bad so I want to get it done quick. Can anyone recommend a good head gasket set that's also pretty cheap? Lol. I'm looking for a complete set with valve cover gaskets, manifold, and mild head gaskets etc. thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize, that post was supposed to say MLS not mild head gaskets. I can't afford $300 at the moment, I know you get what you pay for and all that gruff. There is a set on ebay by a company called CNS autoparts, It's like $53.00 and comes with everything almost. THe head gaskets are MLS. Are MLS gaskets good?

if the heads gaskets are leaking as bad as you think,

the engine probably would not run.

i would start with the valve cover and plug tube gaskets.

then see where you are.

buy some ''brake clean'' and spray off the oily spots.

this will let you see better where the oil is coming from.

this will also allow you do buy the parts as you need them instead of all at once.

the head gasket, should be subaru only,

they cost about 75 - 80 each from an on line dealer.

you should do some research on them.

some folks say you should use the turbo gaskets????????

when i replaced mine i just went to the dealer and asked for the ''latest'' ones.

i have had no trouble for 15k miles.

I went ahead and picked up a valve cover gasket set today. Just wondering are they much harder to do on these things then the 2nd generation 2.2? I did them on my '96 and it was easy as heck. Just wondering if it's pretty much the same on this 2.5?

Thanks johnegg, I actually just got done and it was almost the exact same process, lol. Yes I got the spark plug tube gaskets as well. Mine were hard a rock! The pan gaskets were actually fairly pliable still, but those plug tube seals, dear lord! While reassembling everything I noticed 3 of my plug wires made that "Pop" sound, the sound indicating that they are installed correctly, lol. Well the passenger side rear plug wire made no sound, I can tell when it's on all the way but no "pop" and it slide out very easily by hand, while the rest still "pop" when I pull them off. The car still runs fine but I'm not sure why it doesn't pop. But I will replace them as soon as posible.

So after doing this I am of course still leaking oil. I will eventually get around to changing the head gaskets. Would be a bad idea to tighten the head bolts a little? Just about a quarter turn in the correct sequence. Do you think it would remedy the leak at all?

Would be a bad idea to tighten the head bolts a little? Just about a quarter turn in the correct sequence. Do you think it would remedy the leak at all?

i do not have enough experience to knoe.

but i would bet that it does not help.

did you clean the engine?

Yes I used a combination hot water, dawn dish liquid, and orange degreaser. Also used CRC brake parts cleaner on the tougher spots. It cleaned up well. I cleaned it probably 3 days ago. I checked it again yesterday and oil is building up around the heads again. Valve covers are clean. I just put a new oil filter on the car and it is dripping oil off the end of it, but doesn't appear to be coming from the filter itself

what year and model?

some subarus have a ''water jacket'', oil cooling jacket, mounted in between the oil filter and the block.

it is easy to ID since it has small cooling lines going to the radiator.

there is a large o-ring, oil filter diameter, located under the jacket on the block that leaks when old.

it costs about 7$ ?? at the dealer and is not hard to put in.

i did one on my H6.

i was concerned that the entire cooling system would drain out, but thankfully, no.

but be prepared just in case.

iirc, large center bolt once oil filter is off, needing a deep well socket, odd size maybe.

disconnect one coolant line, and flex the other and the ''jacket'' out of the way.

replace the ''orange'' or red ?? o-ring and then reassemble.

i hope this is it.

good luck.

Hey, can some of you help me out with some random questions? First of all, is it possible to add the factory fog lights to the car? I noticed the wiring for the fog lights are already under the front bumper, as well as the mounting locations. If the wiring for the switch already in the dash? Also, I put a Pioneer head unit in my car today. I mention this because my car originally had the factory CD player, and my wife's grandmother has a 2000 Impreza with just the cassette player. My CD player will fit directly in her car right?

Also, I apologize for all the questions but I do have one more. I've noticed that the Outbacks (and probably some legacys) have a washer fluid reservoir with two pumps. Why is this? My car has the wiring for both pumps but my tank only has room for the one. Would I benefit from snagging a reservoir from another model?

So after doing this I am of course still leaking oil. I will eventually get around to changing the head gaskets. Would be a bad idea to tighten the head bolts a little? Just about a quarter turn in the correct sequence. Do you think it would remedy the leak at all?

do NOT try to tighten the bolts. Do the job right by

1. remove head

2. send it to a machine shop

3. adjust valves on head

4. reinstall using updated Subaru gaskets

5. when installing bolts use oil to lubricate them

6. follow Subaru torqueing process right down to the letter

Archived