LegacyGT.com

2006 Spec B rebuild or sell

I'm the original owner of #95. Just wanting your opinion on what to do.

72k miles.

Cobb air intake.

Cobb tune.

Cobb exhaust.

At 65k miles had the trans rebuilt, new clutch, brakes, rotors, wheel sensors, intercooler, and new tires.

Car looks like new but I've developed a cracked piston rod, no other damage is apparent.

P&L Racing will rebuild the engine for about $6k, 2 plus month project. They did a great job on the transmission. The two months time is fine as I have two Miata's I drive / trade off in the Summer.

I'm not very fond of the car payment thing, haven't had one for years. 6k is about a year worth of car payments.

Rebuild or sell car?

Hey Max you seem to be here a lot and have lots of knowledge. If I list it for sale here, what would I expect to get for the car? As it sits 5k, fixed 12k? I have no idea... After a motor rebuild there pretty much isn't anything left to go bad except drive-train...

Yeah the 6MT is sweeeeeeet, the STI at about 4 grand pushes you back into the seat.

Also while I'm at it, I might as well replace the turbo too, so now bill would be 7k for a shop to do. I could do it for less but this Summers project and monetary allotment was painting house and completing my basement finishing project...

As of today they are towing the car back to my garage. As you recall the car sat for over four years in my garage before I rebuilt the trans last summer. My wife will kill me if it sits in the garage longer than a few months. The one thing I don't own is an engine hoist...

It might be time to sell it and move on. Sorry to say that.

I have all the tools, a spare car, plus F150 and know a great machine shop, and contacts at the local dealer, so it was a no brainer for me.

These cars come become a money pit. Yes yours is one of 500 made...but you have other things to do in your life too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived