LegacyGT.com

2.5i Legacy Whining Noise

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this forum (like today new) and this is my first post. I drive a 2009 2.5i 5MT Legacy SE and I have noticed this whining noise that occurs around 3000 rpm. Its very consistent and is most noticeable when the car is decelerating when I am off the throttle. The sound comes from the front of the car.

Initially I thought this was a transmission oil problem because I was 10k miles over the recommended maintenance for the oil :redface:. I serviced the oil this past weekend but the noise still persists.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it something I should be concerned about? Thanks!

I've heard a whining/whistles noise on my car before and I thought it was strange since the car didn't have any forced induction, so I did some research online and found out apparently the intake likes to whistle from time to time.

Could be that but don't take my word for it.

Often times MT's make a bit more noise simply due to the reduced amount of metal/fluid within the assembly to absorb it in comparison to their AT brother. The gear to gear contact is most pronounced on both acceleration and de-acceleration when the teeth are taking the most load. MT's have only a thin film of gear oil in comparison to the gallons of AT fluid and all of the clutch packs within the case. You'll hear it more while slowing down due to the fact you don't have the noise of the engine/exhaust as it is making power.

I haven't been able to get a good video and it's hard to hear the sound. I have had a hunch that it might just be the sound of manual transmissions, but it does seem quiet loud to just be that. Maybe I'll do some more investigation :confused:

Given its a 5MT and a Subaru I'll say your car is operating fine to be 7-8 years old at this point :) when new they make odd noises here and there so after a few years and miles it may increase.

Rattles and squeaks are "normal", scraping or knocking is bad. It could be a failing bearing on the timing set, your PS pump, alternator or anything that rotates via belt in the engine.

Keep and ear out for it and keep up posted. Welcome :)

• 2 weeks later...

That sound like an exhaust leak + heat shield rattle. Keep in mind during idle the mix is slightly rich to heat the cats up to light temp then leans out for normal operation, that contributes to the louder cold idle.

There is something vibrating under there that makes it sound waaay worse. Overall its very normal idle

Archived