LegacyGT.com

Installing cams?

I won't be getting an LGT or WRX anytime soon , since my slowbaru 2.5i won't be paid off for a good while.

When I bought the car I was extremely ignorant. There was a turbo badge on the car , and I wanted just any car at the time . I wasn't aware there was a legacy GT available , and somehow the guys at the dealers convinced me this car came with a turbo, when in reality it just came with a turbo badge that the previous owner put on.

I even asked the guy to point me to where the snail was, and he said it was different type of turbo hidden underneath that improves fuel economy - I was an idiot and still believed him, and yea at the time I really needed something to get me from point A - to point B.

Now I'm getting into car modding but there's not much I can with 2.5i it seems without having to worry about problems later down the road. Adding a turbo kit was the first thing to came to mind but after a lot of research it looks like it's not worth it.

I wish I could trade it for an LGT or WRX, but I can't until the 2.5i is paid off and that's way down the road.

I've gotten so bored of the car already, I've ridden in faster cars. Such as a GTR , Lamborghini, and even a legacy GT, but it wouldn't have been a good buy - that legacy GT wasn't in good shape and it seems a lot of them aren't in good shape.

I was wondering about installing cams? I just want my car to go a tad bit faster just to last me until I pay off this car and can get an LGT or WRX in good shape.

I know and LGT and WRX can reach some pretty high numbers with mods, but honestly until my 2.5i is paid off I'm completely content 200ish whp, 0-60 in at least 6.1 seconds., but I want something so I don't snap and drive my car into a river.

It seems like Cams are a good option that won't **** up my motor. Unless I'm mistaken. Aftermarket cams are also cheaper than the FI kits.

I checked the Rallitek website and it seems like they don't make cams anymore . But I know of other websites.

Cams will help a little, and youll need to get it tuned afterwards to maximize their potentials. Just a protune on a stock 2.5i will gain you 20 - 25 hp, with the cams maybe up to 50 hp. May want to consider taking off the cats to get full use of the motor. You'll have to decide if the cost of cams, striaght pipe and tune for up to 50 hp will make you happy.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Cams aren't going to turn your 9sec 0-60 car into a 6.1 sec car. If your ultimate plan is to trade for a LGT or WRX, use money you are going to spend on cams, installation & tune towards pay down your loan.

I won't be getting an LGT or WRX anytime soon , since my slowbaru 2.5i won't be paid off for a good while.

When I bought the car I was extremely ignorant. There was a turbo badge on the car , and I wanted just any car at the time . I wasn't aware there was a legacy GT available , and somehow the guys at the dealers convinced me this car came with a turbo, when in reality it just came with a turbo badge that the previous owner put on.

I even asked the guy to point me to where the snail was, and he said it was different type of turbo hidden underneath that improves fuel economy - I was an idiot and still believed him, and yea at the time I really needed something to get me from point A - to point B.

Now I'm getting into car modding but there's not much I can with 2.5i it seems without having to worry about problems later down the road. Adding a turbo kit was the first thing to came to mind but after a lot of research it looks like it's not worth it.

I wish I could trade it for an LGT or WRX, but I can't until the 2.5i is paid off and that's way down the road.

I've gotten so bored of the car already, I've ridden in faster cars. Such as a GTR , Lamborghini, and even a legacy GT, but it wouldn't have been a good buy - that legacy GT wasn't in good shape and it seems a lot of them aren't in good shape.

I was wondering about installing cams? I just want my car to go a tad bit faster just to last me until I pay off this car and can get an LGT or WRX in good shape.

I know and LGT and WRX can reach some pretty high numbers with mods, but honestly until my 2.5i is paid off I'm completely content 200ish whp, 0-60 in at least 6.1 seconds., but I want something so I don't snap and drive my car into a river.

It seems like Cams are a good option that won't **** up my motor. Unless I'm mistaken. Aftermarket cams are also cheaper than the FI kits.

I checked the Rallitek website and it seems like they don't make cams anymore . But I know of other websites.

When I read this, I think to myself "Ugh". :lol: You have a lot of learning to do sir, and the first thing you need to learn is that when someone is trying to sell you something, NEVER believe them, verify it yourself.

If you thought you were buying a turbo car there are many ways to verify that it actually has a turbo..1) familiarize yourself with another car of the same model so that you can compare them, 2) look in the engine bay and find the turbo, no matter what, 3) the VIN of the vehicle will tell you if it has a turbo, 4) the engine code on the plate in the engine bay will tell you what motor it has, 5) the internet has lots of pictures, research, ask questions here before you buy, and learn.

Cams, $300....installing cams requires removal of the motor, $1000 minumum. In order to properly utilize the cams, you need headers, possibly an intake, and a free flowing exhaust system, $1000. In order for your car to run properly with the new cams, you need a tune from a tuner which should involve dyno time along with the various cables to connect to your car, $500.

All of this, for $3000, MIGHT net you 40-50hp and will undoubtedly have other costs associated with it that I haven't covered. Your car will not be as reliable because you will be forcing more power out of a motor that wasn't made for it, and you could damage your motor before you pay the car off, and then you have car payments AND a repair bill for a motor build, and no car to drive.

It would be recommended that you bide your time and drive your slobaru the way it is, save your money, and continue to educate yourself on cars so that the NEXT vehicle you buy is more in line with the power levels that you wish for, and the likelihood of being taken by a sleazy salesman in your rush to buy a car will be minimized if you do your homework beforehand.

2 things you could do.

1. you could contact the service manager of the dealership you bought the car from and tell him how upset you are that you were mislead by the salesman and how you want your money back. Chances are slim but it's worth a shot if you know how to bully them in to giving you a refund and taking the car back. Dealerships care about their reputation particularly in their sales department as it affects their ability to sell more cars.

2. Give this a read and it may help you in #1 fails.

http://jalopnik.com/how-do-i-sell-a-vehicle-i-haven-t-finished-paying-off-1769852073

3. I don't know how old you are, but if you're young maybe it's meant to be. When I was 20 I bought my 2.5i, I wasn't the happiest camper with it and all I wanted was a LGT or a WRX. It never made sense financially to trade mine in, but also being 20 years old there was still a lot I needed to learn to be a young responsible driver. Owning a 250+ hp car wasn't part of that. I did eventually own a Spec B along with my 2.5i when I started making more money, eventually sold the Spec B because I found another car I wanted (M3) and always kept the 2.5i. So that's always an option for you if you're young. Keep the Legacy and pay it down enough to where you could afford a project car. Now that I'm a little older (27) and the things I learned about driving when I was younger, I use my fast cars in a much more responsible manner than I would have if I owned one when I was 20 years old.

Archived