LegacyGT.com

Looking for help with logs + misfire issue

cSlenker802

So I could really use some advice/help with data logs and a misfire on my 05' legacy gt. I just recently replaced my longblock with a new ej257 because of a botched misfire diagnosis by a local shop. Don't want to get this thread off topic so there is a link to the build here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cams-2005-lgt-rebuild-250534.html

I now have the car back and after breaking it in and an oil change, I am having some issues. Again not trying to get off topic in this thread, here is my misfire investigation thread (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/chasing-cyl-1-wiring-misfire-looking-advice-251540.html).

What I need help with from any tuners reading this is can a data log help me with my situation? Or would anybody here be able to try and help me sort this out? As it sits the car will idle fine with no miss on a cold start and reset ECU. As soon as I rev it even the slightest bit the idle drops and becomes rough, and I can monitor the roughness go up ONLY in cly 1 until it throws a p0301. If I reset the ECU with my access port and the engine is still cold, it will go back to a normal idle again until I rev it. If I just let it idle after resetting the ECU, it will have no issues until the engine heats up, then the idle will drop/get rough and mis just like as if I would rev it.

All this just came up after I replaced my bank A cam shaft sensor because of P0340 code for a bad sensor (detailed in misfire thread linked above), and prior to swapping the sensor, the car had no issues with misfires at idle.

At this point i'm beyond frustrated with the car! :mad: I'm looking for ANY help with this issue before I again send it away to the shop which put the new longblock in (not original shop lol). I initially thought that while installing the sensor, I messed up the wiring harness which was in poor condition. I now have a new harness i'm hoping to install it this weekend hoping that will solve the issue, but I am unsure if it will fix anything. PLEASE ANYONE HELP before I get angry and just get rid of the car lol :lol:

Send us some logs, and I'll have Mike take a look.

-Brian

Ahh a day too late hahaha just sent the car back to my mechanic today to have him take a look and unfortunately never took a log. Should have it back within the week and I'll get you one for sure... Also ill be in need of a tune from you in the near future!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'm sure you should be able to meet Mike at ESP in Sterling MA, he uses their Dyno, or just cruse down to Vernon CT and have him do a street tune. It's about a 3 hours drive from Killington.

He's easy to get too of exit 65 on Rt84.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm sure you should be able to meet Mike at ESP in Sterling MA, he uses their Dyno, or just cruse down to Vernon CT and have him do a street tune. It's about a 3 hours drive from Killington.

He's easy to get too of exit 65 on Rt84.

Yeah I've been in contact with Mike and he's great! Unfortunately my car is not so great and things don't look good... We ended up finding out that my cylinder 1 injector was failing causing the miss fire and not the harness. I've now replaced all injectors but it seems as though the damage was already done from running lean for the few days I've drove it. Cylinder 1 only has 100 psi comp smh.

I do want your guys input on the results of my comp test though. My mechanic did a cold comp test and got 1-100, 2-118, 3-124, and 4-112. So low all around. When we first installed the engine we did have issues with the wiring harness so we checked the comp to be safe (again I belief a cold comp test but not positive) and all cylinders were at 125 with unseated rings (engine had never been fired) so since then damage has deffinatly been done to 1, 2, and 4. Reguardless it appears the engine is deffinatly coming apart again. I'm personally suspecting a burnt valve in 1 because of the injector but it could also be that the rings never properly seated in the break in process. We could do a wet comp test to test rings but that may be pointless knowing that it has to come apart anyway.... Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

I do want your guys input on the results of my comp test though. My mechanic did a cold comp test and got 1-100, 2-118, 3-124, and 4-112. So low all around. When we first installed the engine we did have issues with the wiring harness so we checked the comp to be safe (again I belief a cold comp test but not positive) and all cylinders were at 125 with unseated rings (engine had never been fired) so since then damage has deffinatly been done to 1, 2, and 4. Reguardless it appears the engine is deffinatly coming apart again. I'm personally suspecting a burnt valve in 1 because of the injector but it could also be that the rings never properly seated in the break in process. We could do a wet comp test to test rings but that may be pointless knowing that it has to come apart anyway.... Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

Give Dave a call at ESP (978) 422-7273 (Steerling MA) . Tell him Brian from Tuning Alliance sent you.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Give Dave a call at ESP (978) 422-7273 (Steerling MA) . Tell him Brian from Tuning Alliance sent you.

-Brian

Will do thanks! We took the heads off yesterday and found that my head's are in remarkably good shape. My pistons were not cracked either so it seems as tough I cracked or damaged my rings (likely from running lean?). My cylinder wall has some scaring from my rings too. I'll try and get better pics later today. Unfortunately money is now starting to get tight but I am planning on having the block rehoned and balanced then having my pistons reinstalled (as long as there is no damage to the ringlands) with new rings fitted to the bore. Also since its apart again I will be installing head studs this time. Any other recommendations?

Just a thought. if you can make sure all the wires are good for the fuel system.

We over heated four CP pistons in a race motor after about 20 minutes of run time, found a intermittent short in a wire causing the engine to go lean.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/c47c65c20fadb0c2a895c3d2bf67c5e7.jpg

Cylinder 1 when we took the head off... Scarring and all. Looking for a machine shop in my area to get it honed at and then likely forged pistons.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/374c74b7b5b951801398f0ed3c3778bf.jpg

Cylinder 3

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/c6c78b995ed9b01fbca2346d0f4fb9f2.jpg

Valves looked surprisingly good

Archived