LegacyGT.com

Short Block Replacement on 3.6R Legacy

So I have a 2012 Legacy 3.6R Limited with about 64k on the odometer. Now it's sitting at a dealer waiting for a new Short Block. Started making a horrible whining noise a couple of thousand miles ago, dealer replaced idler pulley and the noise continued.

Determined it was an engine problem, they did a teardown and found metallic shavings in the oil and appears to be a bearing failure so they have ordered a new short block for it.

Question is what would cause the failure? Wrong viscosity oil being used? It's always consumed a bit of oil, but I have been spot on for maintenance but the dealer prior to the one it's at has been suspected of not using the correct oil in other Subie owners vehicles.

Next questions is with just a short block replacement, is this going to be essentially a new engine or will this be less reliable than a whole replacement. There were some concerns about the head gaskets but have not heard they would be replaced, my understanding is they are carried over from the old block?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Hard to say why the block failed but this is not uncommon among Subaru.

I would say its highly highly unlikely they will reuse any gaskets especially head gaskets. You just cant reuse those. They will likely reuse the head bolts and they will carry over as many parts as they can but they will reseal the thing as they should.

Hard to say why the block failed but this is not uncommon among Subaru.

I would say its highly highly unlikely they will reuse any gaskets especially head gaskets. You just cant reuse those. They will likely reuse the head bolts and they will carry over as many parts as they can but they will reseal the thing as they should.

Awesome, thanks. That's encouraging to hear! I don't dog the car or anything so I doubt its anything on my end. I have the gold plus added security so at least I am covered there.

So replacing the short block would essentially be getting a new engine correct?

I brought it in for an oil change and tire rotation, and will leave with a new short block, I am assuming the oil change should be free?:lol:

Ask them for a breakdown of the service and parts involved if you wanna know whats going to be replaced.

You are getting a new shortblock so your heads will be reused. You will essentially be getting new crank, rods, pistons, bearings and the case they go in assembled at the factory. They just take your old motor apart, clean all the pans, sealing surfaces, slap the old parts on the new block and ship it. Its a very common repair, if it were a 2.5 they literally stock short blocks on the shelf. Most dealers have a few blocks in stock. 3.6 is probably a little less common.

Ask them for a breakdown of the service and parts involved if you wanna know whats going to be replaced.

You are getting a new shortblock so your heads will be reused. You will essentially be getting new crank, rods, pistons, bearings and the case they go in assembled at the factory. They just take your old motor apart, clean all the pans, sealing surfaces, slap the old parts on the new block and ship it. Its a very common repair, if it were a 2.5 they literally stock short blocks on the shelf. Most dealers have a few blocks in stock. 3.6 is probably a little less common.

Thanks I will. They replaced the 2.5 in my mothers 2013 Outback for excessive oil consumption. My legacy has been in the shop for two weeks, they ordered a new short block and they don't make remanufactured 3.6R's from their source.

This is my first Subaru, but now I'm a little worried that it will fail again if I keep it. This isn't a cheap repair and I'm in college. I know they are good cars so I may just hope for the best. I've just been told the car is never the same power and reliability wise after a replacement. I do find that very hard to believe though.

It really is rare for this to be custom made. Honestly would have never found out about Inferno if I didn't check this thread. Mine is out for delivery today :D I'll try to get some clips in too. Did you have any trouble taking the stock header / bolts off? Also it looks like the O2 sensor wires are too short to reach the bungs.. I have an extension though.

Know that the E Series H6 is Subarus most reliable engine with the H4 comprising most of their engine failures you'll hear and read about. The EZ36D (you engine) is t know for failures if that bearing failed it was most likely due to oil starvation and that between the owner and the servicing party to decide ;) I wouldn't fear of another failure unless you neglect it and even then it takes a lot of neglect to hurt a H6.

Know that the E Series H6 is Subarus most reliable engine with the H4 comprising most of their engine failures you'll hear and read about. The EZ36D (you engine) is t know for failures if that bearing failed it was most likely due to oil starvation and that between the owner and the servicing party to decide ;) I wouldn't fear of another failure unless you neglect it and even then it takes a lot of neglect to hurt a H6.
Just got it back today :)

They pretty much replaced everything except the heads, I see timing chain, water/oil pump also were replaced. They said the shortblock came preassembled from the factory new, I wonder if they carried over the spark plugs or not?

The final cause of failure on the first engine was a non factory gasket came apart and blocked the oil return line, so you are right it was due to oil starvation in a sense.

There has only been one dealer besides this current one who rebuilt that has serviced my car, and I have all my service tickets thankfully even though they didn't ask. For the last 30k I have had to have my oil changed every 3k because it's been low on oil every time, the other dealer assured everything was OK.

It started making a very loud whining noise that has progressively gotten worse, which turned out to be the rod bearings and the other dealer insisted it was nothing to worry about though I brought it in many many times for the engine noise and oil consumption. Now it's up to SOA if they want to pursue the original dealer, they likely will since quite a few other Subaru owners have had their engine's fail due to the dealer not performing maintenance correctly.

Archived