LegacyGT.com

Sudden Rough Shifting

Hey all,

Driving home from work today (all of 4 miles) and I noticed my shifting got "tense" as if I had to use more power to push it into gear. The clutch pedal also did not feel as clean, like there were minor hesitations pushing it to the floor. Car has 99k on it, bought it with 72k, and it could be the original clutch. Doesn't seem too thrilled to go into Reverse while the engine is off and there haven't been any noises.

Anyone care to chime in to help me troubleshoot until I can get an appointment set up?

Check the clutch slave and hose prior to hitting the panic button. The hose can develop a small leak which will do strange things to your shifting. Have someone depress the clutch pedal while you watch the travel of the piston and then grab the hose and wiggle it around under pressure while looking for pinhole leaks. Pay special attention to the bend.

it could also be the point where the slave cylinder pushes against the rod that pushes the throwout bearing on the clutch. you can lube it with lithium or some other grease when you are checking the slave cylinder. you can also bleed your clutch if you have a helper.

another thing it could be is crud or rust on the part where the throwout bearing moves on or the pivot ball of the rod that goes from slave cylinder to throwout bearing. that point is inside the bellhousing.

also make sure you still have fluid in your clutch and transmission

Update time! Couldn't see anything wrong with the pedal assembly or clutch line. Almost positive it is throw out bearing related. Dealer quoted me $2100 for parts and labor and $1000 just to open it up and look!!! I asked them to get me a price with the 2007 assembly opposed to the 2005. I don't understand how it's $2100 to fix when they haven't even seen what is wrong yet but such is life.

Surprised that no juan mentioned replacing the trans fluid. If the trans fluid hasn't be changed in a long time, then that would cause some problems in shifting. The TOB will give you notice when it's time to be changed, it will start to squeal like a pig.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Surprised that no juan mentioned replacing the trans fluid. If the trans fluid hasn't be changed in a long time, then that would cause some problems in shifting. The TOB will give you notice when it's time to be changed, it will start to squeal like a pig.

Not necessarily a lot of warning. Mine started squealing in the morning and pretty much exploded that afternoon.

It's true that the TOB has not made any noise but it's definitely not trans fluid. That was done recently and I can feel hesitation in the clutch. It went from fine in the morning to poor engagement in the afternoon within the distance of 4 miles.

Yeah I'm going to call around. Would you guys recommend the 07 clutch setup with the TSK3?

Yes, I have the same setup and I love it. Night/day difference over the dmfw. Better clutch engagement.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time. I had the 07 assembly put in since my pressure plate failed. The engagement point seems narrower than the 05 DMFW setup and it seems like the car wants to stall out between shifts. The pedal is so much lighter I thought I was going to put my foot through the firewall!

Anyone else experience this in the break in period?

Archived