LegacyGT.com

'05 Legacy suspension/drivetrain repairs--cost

My local Subaru shop says I need the following:

1) Replace front left axle -- $315 parts and labor

2) Replace left and right front control arm front bushings -- $497 parts and labor (includes 4-wheel alignment)

3) Replace rear left and right trailing arm front bushings -- $493 parts and labor

Ripoff or no?

Car has 90k miles and is 11 years old. Does that seem reasonable lifespan for these parts?

Thanks a lot.

2 posts for this?

spend the money

cars break, keep the oil changed

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Where are you located?

It does seem over priced. What did they quote you for the time at what labor rate?

$315 for the axel is an alright price, i'd be okay with this, but for the control arms, it takes probably an hour-hour and a half to pull both sides off of the front, and could be done with jack stands.

The rear are a bit more of a pita, I was charged $250 for the rear and I provided the parts.

$1000 for replacing some bushings and an axel sounds like a lot to me. I'd shop around , and also consider using the sti group n mounts or the whiteline poly bushings. Front inner lca bushings tend to tear easy.

http://www.rallispec.com/mou_bush_rstbk3.html

Good luck.

Where are you located?

It does seem over priced. What did they quote you for the time at what labor rate?

$315 for the axel is an alright price, i'd be okay with this, but for the control arms, it takes probably an hour-hour and a half to pull both sides off of the front, and could be done with jack stands.

The rear are a bit more of a pita, I was charged $250 for the rear and I provided the parts.

$1000 for replacing some bushings and an axel sounds like a lot to me. I'd shop around , and also consider using the sti group n mounts or the whiteline poly bushings. Front inner lca bushings tend to tear easy.

http://www.rallispec.com/mou_bush_rstbk3.html

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I have some emails out for other quotes.

I'm in the San Fran bay area.

The labor quote is as follows:

Replace front left axle……...1 hr…..…..$135

Replace left and right front control arm front bushings………..2.5 hrs……….$337

4 wheel alignment………… 3/4 hr…………$105

Replace rear left and right trailing arm front bushings………3 hrs………….$405

Those look right too me at bay area prices. The book labor for the front control arms is pretty high. I think I spent $350 + bushings for the installation.

Rear I am unsure about. Haven't had to replace those bushings yet.

Cool, thanks, good to know.

I am in the bay area also.

The cars 11 years old, don't take it to the stealership. Find a good local repair shop and build a relationship with them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The cars 11 years old, don't take it to the stealership. Find a good local repair shop and build a relationship with them.

Thanks. The above quote is from an independent shop that I have been going to for a few years.

That shops expensive at $135/Hr, I say ripoff, A oem remanufactured axle is $180 and takes about 30 minutes to replace.

Front Bushings are like $20? and around 45 minutes to replace

Not sure about the rear but i assume its the same as the fronts, parts/labor

Alignment, Just go to tires plus and buy the 3 year for $150

Total for everything if my math is right, ~ $750?

That shops expensive at $135/Hr, I say ripoff, A oem remanufactured axle is $180 and takes about 30 minutes to replace.

Front Bushings are like $20? and around 45 minutes to replace

Not sure about the rear but i assume its the same as the fronts, parts/labor

Alignment, Just go to tires plus and buy the 3 year for $150

Total for everything if my math is right, ~ $750?

You are forgetting total for everything for your math is for Minnesota. Shops aren't cheap around here.

If OP wants to drive he would be able to find it for cheaper. But, that's up to him.

Alignment, depends on the place, but Tiresplus might not give him the spec he wants. Also, if he is just getting one alignment, chances are he won't need another for greater than three years.

The prices are high, but they are not unreasonable for the bay area.

@ OP

I have had good experiences with

Autometrics in Berkeley (general mechanic, not performance oriented)

Auto Options in Berkeley (alignment / general mechanic)

TD Garage in Berkeley

LIC in Novato

And have heard good things about

RBMS - Hayward

Garage One Mountain View

FW Motorsports - Rocklin

http://www.licmotorsports.com/services/maintenance

Thanks. The above quote is from an independent shop that I have been going to for a few years.

Really, I had my trusted mechanic replace both front LCA's for 150 each. Alignment was 40.00

He replaced the left front axle for 140 and has replaced it twice since at no charge.

I had the OEM right front axle rebooted with OEM parts from a different repair shop for 180.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You are forgetting total for everything for your math is for Minnesota. Shops aren't cheap around here.

CA, at least you have cheap taxes and housing cost....;)

Those look right too me at bay area prices. The book labor for the front control arms is pretty high. I think I spent $350 + bushings for the installation.

Rear I am unsure about. Haven't had to replace those bushings yet.

same here. 350 for LCA bushings. parts+labor.

my alignments are ~185.

@ OP

I have had good experiences with

Autometrics in Berkeley (general mechanic, not performance oriented)

Auto Options in Berkeley (alignment / general mechanic)

TD Garage in Berkeley

LIC in Novato

And have heard good things about

RBMS - Hayward

Garage One Mountain View

FW Motorsports - Rocklin

Thanks for sharing that. I have been going to Garage One in Campbell (and before that San Jose). That's who the above quote is from. They have been pretty good, but seemingly on the high end cost-wise.

Have you heard anything about these guys?

http://www.zolisauto.com

I called these guys:

http://www.mijusa.com

And they claim that you cannot not just replace the front control arm bushings, and they must replace the control arms and ball joints too, because it is all integrated. They want $2100 to do this.

Are they nuts?

yes. I have replaced all the bushings and balljoints in my original arms.

This is what you are asking for. It's almost DIY, except for the press to get the LCA out.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-lca-bushings-142980.html

Maybe PM WRX USA and ask for where he goes. He lives in Campbell.

yes. I have replaced all the bushings and balljoints in my original arms.

This is what you are asking for. It's almost DIY, except for the press to get the LCA out.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-lca-bushings-142980.html

Maybe PM WRX USA and ask for where he goes. He lives in Campbell.

Way over my head, as far as DIY. But that thread has great pics to illustrate what is going on. Thanks a lot and thanks for answering the above question.

I will PM WRX USA. THanks for the suggestion.

Sorry if this is an obvious question but did they just randomly tell you all this stuff needs to be done? Were you having any symptoms before you went in? I just always get suspicious when a mechanic tells me a low-cost high-labour part needs to be replaced and bushings reek of this...

Sorry if this is an obvious question but did they just randomly tell you all this stuff needs to be done? Were you having any symptoms before you went in? I just always get suspicious when a mechanic tells me a low-cost high-labour part needs to be replaced and bushings reek of this...

They (the shop I've been going to for 3-4yrs) found the torn bushings and the leaking axle boot during routine maintenance inspection.

They included photos in the online inspection report showing the busted parts.

Yes have been noticing some thuds and what felt like something bottoming out, when going over bumps.

Yea I know what you mean though, it does reek of nice money maker for the shop. I also wonder why the design is such that simple bushings require so much labor to replace.

you could buy new control arms for both sides not including shipping for ~200 *the mevotech ones* which include new bushings and ball joints. if your ball joints are still ok they can remove them.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2005,legacy,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1430733,suspension,control+arm,10401

I replaced my control arms with the mevotech ones because I couldnt easily press out the bushings from the old ones because they were rusted in there. Being in CA you probably dont have that problem.

Archived