LegacyGT.com

Swapping in a NA 2.5 into a MT '06 Legacy GT

I know this idea is rather sacrilegious, but due to financial circumstances, I'm looking into the possibility of swapping in a NA Boxer engine into my legacy gt, while I gather the funds to do a proper engine rebuild on the turbocharged engine. I'd be looking into buying a used NA engine along with the wiring harness and ECU, this would cost around 3 times less than a rebuild in my area.

My Legacy has a MT.

Does anyone have any idea what problems or setbacks I would run into? Would the NA engine bolt up to the transmission? Which NA variants would work best?

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Why don't you just go find a used car for the time being, it would be much easier in the long run. You would also have a spare car for the next time the GT breaks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I agree with Max. Especially if this is a temporary solution. Find a beater on craigslist for less than 1k and run it while you are getting the stuff together for your rebuild. If you really don't need it around, sell it for what you paid after the rebuild.

Anything else will be more expensive, time consuming and much more headache.

How much time do you need? Dollar or Thrifty will rent you a compact car for about $450/mo. Compare that against the cost of an NA engine versus how much time you need.

Even a junkyard NA engine is going to run you about $2k just for the engine, then a couple hundred bucks in fluids and gaskets if you do it yourself (and budget a few hundred for stuff breaking as you disassemble/assemble it). Call it ~$2500 to put a junkyard engine in. And a good month or two of your spare time, assuming the Turbo>NA conversion is uncomplicated.

Or figure ~$3500 for a shop to install a junkyard engine.

2500 will get you about 5 months of rental, even after taxes. 3500 is 7 months.

If you need more than 6 months to save up, you honestly might be better leasing a car for a Kia for a couple of years. You can get an entry-level Kia Rio for 350/mo on a 2 year lease.

Wow! I pay less than that on a '16 Legacy Limited 2.5!

Highway robbery!!

---

Hmmm. That was based upon 14k msrp and no money down, $700 due at signing. How much did you put down, how much did you pay at signing?? A 2.5i is at least $21k msrp, so either they assume a much higher residual value, or you offset the lease amount with a trade-on or down payment.

TBH, you can buy it over 3 years for the same money, and still have a car to sell that's gonna be worth something like $7g, so you're paying 7g for 3 years of "rental", which is under $200/mo.

All that time you have a warranty too.

They purchased my '12 Legacy Premium which I still had 4 months left on the lease. I was over the mileage (43K miles), and the car was in OK condition.

I put $500 down and I was out the door with a $340 payment for 3 years/12K miles per yr. for a 2015 back in Oct of '14.

I got the Limited this time around as well. I may just purchase it and finance it for 2 years at the end of the lease.

---

Folks, I really think you need to do your research, because if yous don't do you research you will have nothing but trouble, do your research and you will be trouble free. I agree completely. One nice thing though that you have never mentioned. Is when money is real low and no new oil is at hand. Doing this filter out is better then no filtering at all. At normal oil change times. There is always life left to a point with the old used oil. Still good for many uses. Research is easily done. Your right completely. I have found that myself has not always been able to carry out the research that was found. Due to affording research results. There are always methods that can still be carried out that can help. Better then doing nothing at all. Some folks I suppose never have to take on thought thinking that way. Due to they can just buy it and go about it the best way, But never the only way. Lets look at lots of things with motors in them. Most of witch come and go from new to scrap or sold. Either way do what can be done to make it last to what ever point it could be brought to in years to come. There sure is more to it then just OIL. Many cares are needed to bring what ever that may be with a motor in it. To a long time down the road as for lasting and staying in good shape and PROBLEM FREE, Anyways I think if you dont change your oil you will need to rebuild that motor.

Hey guys! Thanks for all of the input so far.

Now, I guess I should have been a bit more clear as to how long it might take me to save up to get this rebuilt properly. It could take a year or even longer, depending how many parts I'd like to upgrade etc.

In short, I'm not really looking at alternative ideas because I've considered all of them already. What I'm asking about is potential complications in a NA swap.

Other things to point out: I'd be looking at getting a NA engine from a 5 speed manual and from around the same year as my car, from a wrecking yard or parts recycler, complete with an ECU and wiring harness. Going to make sure there's some kind of warranty on the engine I buy. I assume there will be some exhaust work needed to get the pipes to line up properly. Anyone else have ideas of what might pose a problem?

Folks, I really think you need to do your research, because if yous don't do you research you will have nothing but trouble, do your research and you will be trouble free. I agree completely. One nice thing though that you have never mentioned. Is when money is real low and no new oil is at hand. Doing this filter out is better then no filtering at all. At normal oil change times. There is always life left to a point with the old used oil. Still good for many uses. Research is easily done. Your right completely. I have found that myself has not always been able to carry out the research that was found. Due to affording research results. There are always methods that can still be carried out that can help. Better then doing nothing at all. Some folks I suppose never have to take on thought thinking that way. Due to they can just buy it and go about it the best way, But never the only way. Lets look at lots of things with motors in them. Most of witch come and go from new to scrap or sold. Either way do what can be done to make it last to what ever point it could be brought to in years to come. There sure is more to it then just OIL. Many cares are needed to bring what ever that may be with a motor in it. To a long time down the road as for lasting and staying in good shape and PROBLEM FREE, Anyways I think if you dont change your oil you will need to rebuild that motor.

Archived