LegacyGT.com

GR STi springs on 2008 Spec B Struts?

Hey guys,

A few weeks ago, I found out that one of the springs on my 2008 spec b had snapped. Obviously I need to get that replaced.

25083890452_555f93e233_b.jpg

I don't exactly have a ton of money. However, somebody was offering a set of springs from a 2009 STi hatch for FREE! Being under the impression that they would work in my spec B's struts, and due to me having no money, I quickly picked them up.

25896770142_2e16438278_b.jpg

I tried to do a bit of research on this, but I couldn't find too much information on the internet. Partially because I didn't have much time, and I didn't want these to slip away. I heard that these would work, the GR's struts and the Spec B's struts look almost the same, but has anybody done this before? Would anybody be able to confirm if they fit? Would my car ride a lot lower than my oem springs?

If nobody has an answer, I guess I sill just have to install them, and we will see what happens.

I have seen BP-specific struts on a GH8, and I have GRF springs on my GH8. In theory they should work. Just remember that the GRF struts have the spring perches mounted about 15mm higher than the BP or GH items, so the springs are a bit shorter to compensate, which will lower the car.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 2 weeks later...
I have seen BP-specific struts on a GH8, and I have GRF springs on my GH8. In theory they should work. Just remember that the GRF struts have the spring perches mounted about 15mm higher than the BP or GH items, so the springs are a bit shorter to compensate, which will lower the car.

Thanks for the info mang. :)

Last week I finally got around to installing the STi springs in my car. They fit like a glove. The front of the car dropped a small amount, and it is still at a very reasonable ride height. 14.5" from center of hub to underside of fender. However, the rear is absolutely slammed. 12.5"-13" hub to fender. My mudflaps are scraping on the ground a lot, and it looks absolutely comical :p

26078494272_d5ac412fe6_b.jpg

So either 1" spacers are in order, or it's time to find new springs for the rear :p

The STi springs are shorter. Rate depends on year, there being a bump in 2011 or '12. The '09~ WRX springs are about the same rate as the '08~'10 GRB items but are about 12mm or longer.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I just took a look at the legacy springs I have sitting in my garage... I do remember noticing that the STi springs sit a bit shorter than the legacy ones do, but considering that the front didn't drop so much and the sti springs for the front were so much shorter than the legacy ones, i wasn't expecting the drop in the rear to be so dramatic :p

Sorry i didnt take any direct comparison pictures, changing the springs out was a heck of a job (for me), and i didn't think to take any in-progress comparison shots :p

'08 Spec B Springs

26172866142_398096bc1a_b.jpg

'09 sti springs

25896770142_2e16438278_b.jpg

I did a little bit of research on spring rates, and this is what i found:

LGT F-196 lb/inch R-308 lb/inch

STi F-217 lb/inch R-197 lb/inch

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=656100&postcount=3

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2989012-post2.html

This really makes me scratch my head. The ride on the LGT rear springs seems so much softer than the STi spring... but the LGT spring rate is so much higher?? The STi springs are not progressive. Does this mean the struts are constantly bottoming out and i am hitting the bump stops?? :(

Archived