LegacyGT.com

Another P0021 Code

Over the weekend my CEL illuminated and the cruise control light started to flash. Aside from these two indications there was no noticeable difference in the way the vehicle drove. After taking care of some other things during the day I eventually made it to the auto parts store where they read the codes and found the P0021 code. However after doing so the CEL was extinguished and the cruise control light was no longer flashing. I suspect the computer found the monitored parameter which initially set the CEL was now back in spec and, after a few drive cycles, extinguished the light (to be clear: the auto parts store employee did not clear the CEL...the computer did that itself).

Having the code I came to this forum and performed a search. Results did not sound encouraging from what I found. However there is a distinct difference between what I read in the forum and the symptoms I experienced which is why I'm posting about this particular code. That difference is my car did not exhibit any operational issues. Power was exactly as it has been, idle, sounds, everything...just the CEL was illuminated. Contrast this with what I found on this forum where I saw performance and idle issues, weird sounds, and a host of other not so good sounding symptoms.

With the CEL now off I thought maybe it was a fluke. The temperatures had dipped into the high 20's the morning the CEL illuminated with a warm up later in the day. I made a note to keep an eye on things just in case and have my mechanic look at it when I take it in to get the oil changed (I don't like seeing intermittent CELs...they tend to be symptoms to impending problems). Fast forward to today with blizzard conditions and the CEL illuminated again. Operationally the car is fine...no power loss, no rough idling, no abnormal sounds. I have an appointment scheduled with the mechanic for Monday.

My question to the forum is, given what I've read about the P0021 code, should I continue to drive the car until I can have my mechanic look at it? If it was exhibiting the symptoms other posters experienced I would definitely hold off. However since the car is not exhibiting those symptoms I'm unsure if there would be an issue.

Thoughts?

You have a time bomb there.

Have the mechanic remove the filter from the banjo bolt on the back of the passenger side head.

I would drive the car as little as possible until that is done.

My Turbo lasted a 1000 miles after that CEL. Listen to your turbo and when the whine becomes a whistle STOP driving the car. Replace the turbo.

I got lucky.

Here's my thread,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You have a time bomb there.

Have the mechanic remove the filter from the banjo bolt on the back of the passenger side head.

I would drive the car as little as possible until that is done.

My Turbo lasted a 1000 miles after that CEL. Listen to your turbo and when the whine becomes a whistle STOP driving the car. Replace the turbo.

I got lucky.

Here's my thread,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

Thanks Max. I forgot to mention the banjo bolt was previously removed by said mechanic. Seems like it would be wise to hold off on driving it.

You can try replacing the OCV valves too as the solenoid tends to go bad by now. I replaced mine after getting that cel twice at high highway cruising speeds (with a newish and fine turbo). No re-occurrence so far. Turbo banjo filter was already out with the turbo and was clean as a whistle. Turbo recently checked and was fine. Check this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/help-p0021-intake-camshaft-position-timing-over-advanced-18887.html

You can try replacing the OCV valves too as the solenoid tends to go bad by now. I replaced mine after getting that cel twice at high highway cruising speeds (with a newish and fine turbo). No re-occurrence so far. Turbo banjo filter was already out with the turbo and was clean as a whistle. Turbo recently checked and was fine. Check this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/help-p0021-intake-camshaft-position-timing-over-advanced-18887.html

Thanks for the suggestion. The OCV seems like a good thing to have replaced either way. I'll ask my mechanic about it. Would it be OK to drive the car until Monday?

Thanks for the suggestion. The OCV seems like a good thing to have replaced either way. I'll ask my mechanic about it. Would it be OK to drive the car until Monday?

If that's all it is then I would think so. If you have some other turbo related problem then no. You said it seems otherwise fine and no high pitched whining noise so you could probably baby it until then would be my guess.

If that's all it is then I would think so. If you have some other turbo related problem then no. You said it seems otherwise fine and no high pitched whining noise so you could probably baby it until then would be my guess.

One other thing to mention is the turbo was replaced shortly before I purchased the car (about 18 months ago). Given the amount of snow we have on the ground and my ability to work from home I think I'll hold off on driving it.

I wanted to follow up with everyone on this issue as I just heard back from my mechanic. The good news is the P0021 was the result of the oil being about two quarts low. The bad news is the oil was two quarts low. As I have the oil changed every 3K miles this seems like a lot of oil to be used in such a "short period of time". It looks as if I need to pay extra careful attention to the oil level. I do try to keep an eye on it but not as much as I should (primarily because it's such a hassle as reading it isn't nearly as straightforward as it should be). I'm going to inquire about the oil usage to see if there are any leaks which may need attention (I'm not aware of any). Do these cars use this much oil in 3K miles?

I wanted to follow up with everyone on this issue as I just heard back from my mechanic. The good news is the P0021 was the result of the oil being about two quarts low. The bad news is the oil was two quarts low. As I have the oil changed every 3K miles this seems like a lot of oil to be used in such a "short period of time". It looks as if I need to pay extra careful attention to the oil level. I do try to keep an eye on it but not as much as I should (primarily because it's such a hassle as reading it isn't nearly as straightforward as it should be). I'm going to inquire about the oil usage to see if there are any leaks which may need attention (I'm not aware of any). Do these cars use this much oil in 3K miles?

Yes! Up to a quart per 1000 is considered ‘within spec’ for a high mileage turbo subaru, believe it or not. All forced induction cars tend to burn it.

It’s a shock coming from a different car (I had an old Toyota that didn’t burn a drop) but you have to get used to checking it weekly or at least every other week at minimum and topping it off as needed. I refill a couple quart bottles and carry them around with me so I can top off easily if I am on a trip or something.

Two quarts per 3000 is actually not too bad. I do about 3 in 3000 in the wagon and half that in the sedan.

You can try 40 weight oil too as most here have moved to that.

Check for oil leaks at the valve covers as they tend to leak by now and hoses.

Oh and try reading from the back of the stick. I find that gives the best read. Cold car of course.

Yes! Up to a quart per 1000 is considered ‘within spec’ for a high mileage turbo subaru, believe it or not. All forced induction cars tend to burn it.

It’s a shock coming from a different car (I had an old Toyota that didn’t burn a drop) but you have to get used to checking it weekly or at least every other week at minimum and topping it off as needed. I refill a couple quart bottles and carry them around with me so I can top off easily if I am on a trip or something.

Two quarts per 3000 is actually not too bad. I do about 3 in 3000 in the wagon and half that in the sedan.

You can try 40 weight oil too as most here have moved to that.

Check for oil leaks at the valve covers as they tend to leak by now and hoses.

Oh and try reading from the back of the stick. I find that gives the best read. Cold car of course.

This is good (in a weird sort of way) news to hear as it indicates there's nothing I need to concern myself with regarding the oil consumption. My mechanic did say the same thing about one quart per 1K miles being within specifications but it's nice to receive confirmation from others.

As for leaks I may have him check it over again as I had him address the leaks it had when I first purchased it. But that was almost 18 months ago so perhaps a new one has developed since then.

Looks like I need to pick up some oil and put it in the trunk. Just need to remember to check it more frequently.

Thanks everyone...again.

It can also be a PITA to get a correct reading too. Good Luck

I've discovered as much which is why I don't check it as often as I should (or, apparently, need). Glad to learn the oil consumption is typical for these cars and nothing specific to mine.

Archived