LegacyGT.com

P0011 CEL, replaced all culprits and won't go away!!

Hey guys,

I have had the P0011 CEL on my car, now the block has been replaced before since the VF40 blew with my uncle who owned the 2006 legacy GT auto. I have changed the following and still have this CEL. This is a bone stock never modified Legacy. It's driving me insane how it still comes up, and start ups are sometimes longer than usual (not all the time). BTW had a compression test on warm engine and everything was good across all 4 cylinders, car drives and performs strong.

Replaced with brand new parts:

- Brand new VF46 turbo

- All banjo filters removed

- New Oil Control Valves both sides

- Infamous Performance Oil Line kit

- Brand new timing belt kit/water pump and not off any teeth had it double checked

- 06 catless wrx up pipe if this is even necessary to mention

- Apparently my cam gears are fine as well.

- Have removed oil pan and installed Killer B oil pick up and no metal shavings in oil pan either or on my magnetic drain plug.

Alternatives?

- Changed my oil multiple times with Castrol syntec 5w30 and OEM filters

- Should I change my oil cooler? Just an expensive part and not sure if that would cause anything?

- Any sensors?

I do have a boost leak on the inlet slight rip by the turbo (Assume can cause a slightly hard start sometimes?) Wouldn't think this would have anything to do with P0011.

Yes I have done my research and still cannot figure this out maybe someone who has dealt with this can help me resolve the issues!

Have to look at live data to be sure but it coulllld be the cam phaser itself getting hung up. The vanes inside could be scored and binding up or just be gummed up with oil sludge.

Since your turbo did fail in the past, crap could have made its way in there.

Have to look at live data to be sure but it coulllld be the cam phaser itself getting hung up. The vanes inside could be scored and binding up or just be gummed up with oil sludge.

Since your turbo did fail in the past, crap could have made its way in there.

Okay now whats the fix for this? Something I can run through an oil change to clean the sludge? Or do I have to replace something?

Also there are no funny noises, or any smoke from anywhere.

I understand so is this the last culprit? Remove timing belt and replace the cam gears? Anyone experienced with this removal LOL and we sure this is hopefully it? They are pretty pricey new.

Have you traced the wires that get the signal for that CEL, may be you have a wire issue ?

I will try to trace that down but wouldn't that mean it would aways be on? I have cleared the code and stays off for like 50-100 miles. I would think it would just come right back on if it was a wiring issue but correct me if I'm wrong?

I'm leaning towards replacing cam gears but I don't want to start spending more unnecessary money like I most likely have to begin with. :spin:

This video has me thinking maybe this can be the problem?

Generally, over advanced codes have to do with dirty oil. I wonder if your cam sensors could be going bad or have debris on them.

Where are the cam sensors exactly? I can attempt to replace them. As far as dirty oil goes, I mean if I change mine every 3k miles does it really get that dirty or something could be sitting in the oil cooler?

Where are the cam sensors exactly? I can attempt to replace them. As far as dirty oil goes, I mean if I change mine every 3k miles does it really get that dirty or something could be sitting in the oil cooler?

I have a hard time thinking its the cam sensors. That code to me means the sensor is doing its job as a "hall monitor" reporting back to the ECM that there is a problem.

And yes generally when you have turbo failure its a really really good idea to replace the oil cooler as well. Its a trap for crap from the turbo grenading.

I have a hard time thinking its the cam sensors. That code to me means the sensor is doing its job as a "hall monitor" reporting back to the ECM that there is a problem.

And yes generally when you have turbo failure its a really really good idea to replace the oil cooler as well. Its a trap for crap from the turbo grenading.

Sounds like so far I need to replace the oil cooler at next oil change or atleast clean it(FYI block was replaced so wouldn't that technically have a different oil cooler?) Replace cam gears as well...? Sounds like $600+ worth of parts Lol

Idk if the cooler was replaced or not. It doesn't come with the block and is bolted to the block. It would be very foolish to reuse the old one if you had turbo/bearing failure. Everything that touches oil in that case is compromised.

I am not an advocate of throwing parts at things at all. Nothing worse than a forum or facebook group that says its this that and the other thing and the car is still not fixed. Im taking a guess here and trusting that you understand whats going on. You sound savvy about cars and understand why the problem is happening but its hard to say 110% what the cause is.

Archived