LegacyGT.com

Convince me to stay 4th gen

maineSubi

Current 05 limited has 160k on it and I'm starting to spend a steady amount on maintenance, I'm changing jobs and now need some more reliability. Currently dealing with constant caliper and wheel bearings issues, in parallel with potentially the costly u joint/driveshaft replacement. Had jmp reman the stock vf40 so that's not a concern but I'm leary of the stock block at this point. Clutch was taken care of a few years ago and I've been Cobb ots stg 1 for about 10k and think my power target is no more than stg2 but I obviously don't want to go there with this car.

My old commute was great Maine back roads perfect for the areas I've handling I've dialed in, Konis, epics, Hotchkiss rsb, perrin fsb, adjustable bushings >>camber etc.

Now I'm driving straight down 93 in mass, boring, traffic, potholes.

I want to by a 08 or 09 spec b, or an 11 12 gt. 75k or under for mileage

The 5th Gen seems ideal for my plain driving I'll be doing but would obviously upgrade the suspension eventually. It seems like most people who move away from the 4th Gen regret it. But there seems to be so much to always stay on top of, and now my job is no longer 5ft from a trusted turbo subi mechanic.

If access to a competent mechanic is what has you on the fence, then there's hope. Depending where in Mass you actually are, there's another trusty Subaru mechanic you could check out in Woburn. Look into Motive.

http://www.motiveautoworks.com/

Alberto is the man. Easy to talk to, and a total professional. You'll see a half-dozen turbo Subarus parked at his shop at any given time, including Legacies.

If you're looking for more feedback on Motive, visit the New England sub forums and start a thread. Alberto is well-liked around these parts.

Go with the 5th Gen. If you're okay with it only being available in a 6MT, it's a bigger, safer vehicle for your family (current and/or future), newer obviously, you'll find many more lower mile examples, and it makes more power reliably with a simple Stage1 tune.

If access to a competent mechanic is what has you on the fence, then there's hope. Depending where in Mass you actually are, there's another trusty Subaru mechanic you could check out in Woburn. Look into Motive.

http://www.motiveautoworks.com/

Alberto is the man. Easy to talk to, and a total professional. You'll see a half-dozen turbo Subarus parked at his shop at any given time, including Legacies.

If you're looking for more feedback on Motive, visit the New England sub forums and start a thread. Alberto is well-liked around these parts.

Thanks for the suggestion Ellesedil, I have heard Motive thrown around before but didn't realize it was in Woburn, that's where my next job is actually going to be located.

Go with the 5th Gen. If you're okay with it only being available in a 6MT, it's a bigger, safer vehicle for your family (current and/or future), newer obviously, you'll find many more lower mile examples, and it makes more power reliably with a simple Stage1 tune.

The more I think about it, past 3 weeks, the 5th gen just seems more rational, allbeit slightly less attractive.

The 5th gen search has begun.

If you go with a 5th Gen tho, plan to budget about $800-$1000 for suspension upgrades. You need Koni shocks and 22mm RSB at a minimum to bring the level of handling up to sport sedan status. In stock form you will notice that it is very very boaty.... ie 1984 Cadillac boaty. Not sure what Subaru was thinking, but definitely a quick fix with some upgrades.

I may go chase that DIP 2012 in NY, ooh boy.

GTeaser, are the konis the same deal as with the 4th gens? As in same model, and the fronts you need to cut and modify stockers?

Can't find any for sale specifically for the 5th gen...

I may go chase that DIP 2012 in NY, ooh boy.

GTeaser, are the konis the same deal as with the 4th gens? As in same model, and the fronts you need to cut and modify stockers?

Can't find any for sale specifically for the 5th gen...

The fronts are inserts like the 4th Gen but the fitment is for 08+WRX.

8610-1453S and 8010-1055S

2012 came with the black interior only and had carbon fiber (faux) trim on the inside, and only in Limited trim. 2012 also had some steering column, front suspension/chassis and rear suspension pillow ball bushing upgrades that the 2010 and 2011 didn't have. Some (a small percentage) of the 2010 and 2011 had a shimmy issue at highway speeds. The upgrades I listed were applied on the production line with the 2012 to address the factory's fix for the shimmy. 2012+ didn't have any issues. So drive the 2010 on the highway before you make the decision. 2012-2014 also has a different drivers side airbag design that was carried thru to the new WRX and Forester.

Stay 4th gen bro bro, light equals might!

IIRC, the 5th Gen GT is less than 100 lbs heavier than the 4th Gen GT. The power bump from Stage 1 more than accounts for that adequately because its comparable to a 4th Gen at Stage 2.

Stay 4th gen bro bro, light equals might!

IIRC, the 5th Gen GT is less than 100 lbs heavier than the 4th Gen GT. The power bump from Stage 1 more than accounts for that adequately because its comparable to a 4th Gen at Stage 2.

According to cars101.com, the 2010 LGT curb weight is 3440. The 2009 LGT 5MT is 3428, 2009 spec.B is 3543.

You guys are letting facts get in the way of a good debate...lol.:spin:

5th gen all the way. I owned a 4th gen 2.5i and loved the looks, handling, and ride. But the interior space in the 5th gen is so much nicer and that low mount turbo power 4th gens wish they had!:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Test drove a 2010 gt today, unfortunately it is one of the ones that shake at highway speeds. I was really looking for a limited, which it wasn't, but for the right price I would have dealt with it. Unfortunately the highway shimmy made me walk away. They said they would take it in and check the tires, but I doubt they will fix the shimmy as it sounds near impossible without replacing tons of things.

DIP colored, 86k miles, dealer was asking $16.5k, just put a new clutch in it, Milford Subaru in NH if anybody is curious.

Test drove a 13 GTI, and that was amazing, I hate the reliability of a VW butt I damn that was a nice ride.

Test drove a 2010 gt today, unfortunately it is one of the ones that shake at highway speeds. I was really looking for a limited, which it wasn't, but for the right price I would have dealt with it. Unfortunately the highway shimmy made me walk away. They said they would take it in and check the tires, but I doubt they will fix the shimmy as it sounds near impossible without replacing tons of things.

DIP colored, 86k miles, dealer was asking $16.5k, just put a new clutch in it, Milford Subaru in NH if anybody is curious.

Test drove a 13 GTI, and that was amazing, I hate the reliability of a VW butt I damn that was a nice ride.

Could not have been DIP, that color was only available in 2012. Must have been Azurite Blue Pearl, ABP.

Archived