LegacyGT.com

Looking at a used liberty(legacy) GT Spec B anything to look out for?

Hey guys looking at getting a 2006 Spec B for the other half as she likes her power and we live out in the hills with heaps of twisties so the AWD should come in handy. We live in australia btw and here is a link of the car

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Subaru-Liberty-2006/SSE-AD-3387821/?Cr=26

So i am basically looking for some advice on what to look out for in the Spec B GT's if anyone has one and knows common faults with them?

This one is at 170k KM's not miles which is getting up there in travel done but has had the timing chain done 10k ago.

Hoping to knock down the price a bit from 13k but this one has the fancy looking satnav which i liked in a tuned by sti model i looked at.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated as im new to sports cars (have a turbo diesel patrol lol) so this is way out of my realm of expertise. Thanks heaps guys hopefully will be joining the somewhat dying breed of Spec B drivers soon!

Stay away from automatics. It just kill's all the fun for the life of the car.

I agree... one of the main reasons to get a spec over the regular GT is for the 6 speed trans :spin:

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r637/zangado8/IMG_1271_zpsxqcrdjwt.jpg

I agree... one of the main reasons to get a spec over the regular GT is for the 6 speed trans :spin:

Any car that has a Manual option and doesn't have it is like giving up you're "man card" Like my next door neighbor comes home with a brand new 2016 Corvette a month ago and it's an automatic. He was a little upset when I turned down the offer to drive it because I told him I had no interest because it was an automatic. People who are Petrol Heads like us won't buy a car without a manual trans. Not to mention a manual trans is a modern day anti-theft device because most people and millennials have no clue on how to drive one!

This is absolutely true. I love my OBXT but I hate the auto trans almost as much as the garbage oem struts. I can do something about one of those much easier than the other.

If I had to do it again I'd wait for the 5 or 6mt.

This is absolutely true. I love my OBXT but I hate the auto trans almost as much as the garbage oem struts. I can do something about one of those much easier than the other.

If I had to do it again I'd wait for the 5 or 6mt.

I have to agree with you about the factory struts as well. My LGT reminds me of a 90's Buick the way it rides with the factory struts. Lucky me I am currently cleaning up a set of BC Coil Overs and having the springs sand blasted and powder coated just in time for the summer. Just got a new set of 225/45/17 Yokohama's too. Can't wait to get it all dialed in!

LMAO...obviously you've never driven a good automatic and the Corvette that you decided was no good is one of the fantastic ones. Manual transmissions are fun, but that's all they are. When you drive a lot, they are a pain in the ass.

I promise I NEVER miss a shift and I don't have clutch or throw out bearing issues either.

You can keep your manuals.

Any car that has a Manual option and doesn't have it is like giving up you're "man card" Like my next door neighbor comes home with a brand new 2016 Corvette a month ago and it's an automatic. He was a little upset when I turned down the offer to drive it because I told him I had no interest because it was an automatic. People who are Petrol Heads like us won't buy a car without a manual trans. Not to mention a manual trans is a modern day anti-theft device because these millennials have no clue on how to drive one!

Hey now - 27 years old here - I drive one, as do about 12 other people my age I know (including even 3 ladies!).

Hey now - 27 years old here - I drive one, as do about 12 other people my age I know (including even 3 ladies!).

You know you have met the right female when you find out she has had a manual trans in her past or currently drives one....

23 here and I drive manual, 4 friends my age who rock the third pedal as well

Well we finally chose one.

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/2006-Subaru-Liberty-GT-SpecB-4GEN/SSE-AD-3715958

Took it for a test drive runs beautifully and really has some power only issues i noticed was a bit of a grind in the break pedal. Going in for a full inspection today will see what that unearths. Pretty excited such a fun car its for the wife but i think ill be planti g my ass in it alot more than her :)

i disagree.

its the ebay parts and other comical add-ons that people here run to that kills the fun of the car. the loud exhaust on stock turbos are comical too.

soon the rest of the lineup of used turbos will look like the bondo civics of yesterday. some already are.

i disagree.

its the ebay parts and other comical add-ons that people here run to that kills the fun of the car. the loud exhaust on stock turbos are comical too.

soon the rest of the lineup of used turbos will look like the bondo civics of yesterday. some already are.

How does that kill the fun for you??? What people choose to spend their money on and put on theIr car shouldn't effect you or what you do to your car... I have a loud exhaust on my stock turbo and have 120k flawless miles running good oil and a solid tune... loving every minute of driving it!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

How does that kill the fun for you??? What people choose to spend their money on and put on theIr car shouldn't effect you or what you do to your car... I have a loud exhaust on my stock turbo and have 120k flawless miles running good oil and a solid tune... loving every minute of driving it!

same level of argument as auto vs manual dont you think?

whats it to you if someone buys an auto? why does it matter to anyone else?

so...if people want to have a transmission opinion i will have exhaust and other senseless "mods".

take a look around. look at all the question. the "i just bought a *** with 160k miles".

how many of us actually bought the car new? i am the only and original owner.

what ive seen...you either have more power or you dont. transmission doesnt matter.

same level of argument as auto vs manual dont you think?

whats it to you if someone buys an auto? why does it matter to anyone else?

so...if people want to have a transmission opinion i will have exhaust and other senseless "mods".

take a look around. look at all the question. the "i just bought a *** with 160k miles".

how many of us actually bought the car new? i am the only and original owner.

what ive seen...you either have more power or you dont. transmission doesnt matter.

Actually no I don't feel its the same level.. I wasn't trying to start an argument. I was just curious how people using eBay parts/ loud exhaust on stock turbo had anything to do with the comments on the auto trans...

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

LMAO...obviously you've never driven a good automatic and the Corvette that you decided was no good is one of the fantastic ones. Manual transmissions are fun, but that's all they are. When you drive a lot, they are a pain in the ass.

I promise I NEVER miss a shift and I don't have clutch or throw out bearing issues either.

You can keep your manuals.

I agree, and I'll go one further, a properly set up automatic turbo car is the best. Building boost? No problem...

I bought an M/T Legacy, but that's because it was what I wanted and it is not a race car. In some ways I wish I had an auto car now. But rest assured, if I was building a real race car it would have an automatic in it. ;)

I agree, and I'll go one further, a properly set up automatic turbo car is the best. Building boost? No problem...

I bought an M/T Legacy, but that's because it was what I wanted and it is not a race car. In some ways I wish I had an auto car now. But rest assured, if I was building a real race car it would have an automatic in it. ;)

yup. dyno says my peak boost of 360lbft at ~2300 rpm. levels to 285 though.

would a 5 eat have higher tq at lower rpm than a manual with a 18g?

Archived