LegacyGT.com

Stalling, will not stay running

I replaced my OEM fuel pump with a DW 65C last weekend. It has run flawlessly for a week. I noticed better throttle response and even observed better fuel mileage. Today however out of the blue my car decided to stall out and leave me stranded. I had to give AAA a call. I tried to restart the car and although it had quite a bit of trouble turning over, it would eventually fire, but stalled shortly after. I tried numerous times and could not get the car to throw a Check Engine Code. Obviously I'm going to take the fuel pump back out and see if I can find a problem, but I just wanted to create a thread to see If anyone else has had any problems with their Deatschwerks fuel pump installation or knows anything else I may have missed. Currently The car is stage 2 with all supporting mods on a local pro tune. Its been running great on that tune for quite some time, so the only changed factor is this fuel pump. The installation went smoothly so, I have no idea what the issue could be.

After digging a little deeper, it seems DW may have sent out a batch of bad pumps. Several people over on Nabisco have reported multiple failures with minimal mileage. Has anyone here experienced this?

I solved the problem. After work Monday evening, I un-installed and disassembled the fuel pump basket all over again. When I finally freed the pump from it's housing, I found that the O-ring that makes the seal around the pump's outlet had snapped in half! So, the car was just gurgling fuel and unable to force it through the lines. I replaced the O-ring, re-assembled the basket, dropped the basket back into the tank, primed the pump a few times and the car fired right up like nothing ever happened! Its amazing that just a tiny $0.15 O-ring could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. And people think Super-Heros are powerful.

FYI, Before I reinstalled everything I gave DW a call. Its seems that doubling up on the O-rings as per their recommendation has not worked for countless people, me included. I asked the rep if I should take the OEM spacer off of the OEM pump and place it onto the DW pump and then place ONE O-ring on the pump before installing it into the basket. He said this is the new preferred method, as The DW pump has exactly the same dimensions as the OEM Pump. I did this and have had no problems since, and am very happy. So again instead of using 2 O-rings, reuse the OEM Spacer plus One O-ring, then Install the Pump into the basket. On a Side Note, using the optional installation kit is highly recommended because there was a lot of debris in the fuel basket and strainer. The strainer certainly needed to be replaced. Installing a new pump really gives you a chance to clean and freshen everything up.

FYI, Before I reinstalled everything I gave DW a call. Its seems that doubling up on the O-rings as per their recommendation has not worked for countless people, me included. I asked the rep if I should take the OEM spacer off of the OEM pump and place it onto the DW pump and then place ONE O-ring on the pump before installing it into the basket. He said this is the new preferred method, as The DW pump has exactly the same dimensions as the OEM Pump. I did this and have had no problems since, and am very happy. So again instead of using 2 O-rings, reuse the OEM Spacer plus One O-ring, then Install the Pump into the basket. On a Side Note, using the optional installation kit is highly recommended because there was a lot of debris in the fuel basket and strainer. The strainer certainly needed to be replaced. Installing a new pump really gives you a chance to clean and freshen everything up.

notice any differences with day to day driving?

im getting one installed tomorrow afternoon.

Archived