LegacyGT.com

Want to build a strong and reliable daily

Hey there. As you may know I had a previous thread titled: "BTSSM says I have knock". Compression tests had good results and registered 155-153 for all four cylinders. the Leak Down test wasn't that good 1-3 have a 5% loss and 4 has an 11% loss.

So, ringlands.

I know you can build an EJ257 shortblock with an EJ255 head. I need as much information as possible on this. What's required? What's optional?

Also, I could get a new EJ255 shortblock. Is that worth it?

Either option would also get a new catted downpipe, full catback, and a custom tune post break in period.

Just to vent; I had a brand new VF40 put in there and all of the required fluid changed done with a new radiator install. I thought I was in the clear... Nope.

I'm also looking at a loan to get all of this done since the car is paid off.

The 05 and 06 Legacies all come from the factory with an EJ255. The EJ257 is extremely similar and is a direct bolt on substitute. In fact, the EJ257 has superceded the EJ255 and all new shortblocks and case halves for the 2.5L Turbo motors are EJ257s. That's what you want. That's what you'll get if you buy it new. Reuse your heads after machining.

See my click here link.

Read the sticky at the top of the Tech forum below.

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/engine-rebuild-threads-engines-only-142.html

here's another thread with a good list of parts

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rebuild-250504.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am now reading both of those threads. I'm getting as much info as possible and working on getting a loan. I would rather fund a new shortblock than get a different car.

I'm also trying to get this funded with the least possible. Most bang for the buck. This is also beyond my own capabilities and a shop is doing the work.

Archived