LegacyGT.com

Blown Turbo. Another one bites the dust

So I'm on my way to the Vermont mountains this past weekend for some solid spring snowboarding and the Turbo cuts out. I had no choice but to drive it home roughly 100 miles due to circumstances I won't get into. Ended up barely limping her into the driveway..but made it, however plumes of white smoke began coming from the left exhaust pipe as I was pulling in and at subsequent start ups at the dealer (had it towed to the dealer).

Dealer confirmed the blown turbo and found metal shavings in the oil pan. Car starts, but plenty of white smoke present. Can someone confirm that the smoke is an indicator of further engine damage please, along with a recommendation on how to move forward.

2008 LGT with 131000 miles. Maintained well with synthetic every 4k max (except for a missed few which I ran it to 5k before oil change.

I know I'm looking at a turbo replacement and an engine flush AT LEAST. Dealer suggests new turbo and new bottom end but wants to pull it all apart for another $300 in labor to confirm extent of engine damage to the tune of $7000.

Should I scrap it?

Kicker is I PAID IT OFF LAST WEEK!!!! Does Subie have a frigin self-destruct button haaaa?

Thanks!

I've read all about the banjo bolt/filter issues with 4th gens. Really just looking for thoughts on how to move forward. I love this car, but think she's done for unless I put $10000 into it, which it's worth about $80000. I'm depressed over it

If it's not under warranty anymore then why even take it to a dealer?? They're gonna overcharge you and won't even take out the banjo bolt filters because they're not even allowed to. Bring it to a independent subie shop.

Either way, it sounds like you're gonna need a new shortblock. The heads can probably be refreshed but this is definitely gonna be costly. It's really up to you if you want to pony up $5-8k to fix it or sell it for $2-3k.

^ Pretty much what he said.

Where in MA are you ?

I know a great shop in Somersville CT that could do the job for less.

The short block and gasket set is about $2000.

Heads rebuilt, about 500

new oil pump

new oil cooler

new oil pan

timing belt

Labor to R&R figure 1000-1500 assembly time may be another 1000

Oh yea, turbo another 1000

Clutch ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry to hear of this.

Save your money, and your sanity.

Scrap it.

It really depends on if he thinks he can buy another car for the same amount of money that would be anywhere near as enjoyable for him, and his current financial situation. That said, if he needs to take out a personal loan to cover an engine rebuild, the interest rate is probably going to be pretty high. I imagine the rest of the car is worth a couple grand scrapped, so taking that plus the saved money toward a rebuild (so probably close to $10,000 altogether) would go a long way towards buying a new or certified pre-owned 2015+ WRX that would offer better performance, better fuel economy, more modern technology, a 6 speed transmission, and the rest of a car that doesn't already have 131,000 miles on it. The interest rate on that loan would be very low, too.

I'd think about that latter option pretty hard.

^ Pretty much what he said.

Where in MA are you ?

I know a great shop in Somersville CT that could do the job for less.

The short block and gasket set is about $2000.

Heads rebuilt, about 500

new oil pump

new oil cooler

new oil pan

timing belt

Labor to R&R figure 1000-1500 assembly time may be another 1000

Oh yea, turbo another 1000

Clutch ?

Put 5 grand I to it in the last year and a half, which included a clutch, struts/springs, along with other routine fixes.

My new guy, who knows the car found an engine for 3500, plus labor, would run me 5000 tops. New engine has 61000 miles on it. No report yet on the ownership history or maintainence on car the engine is coming from . Hes not assuming the turbo blew until he checks it out. He seems to be leaning toward timing belt, but too early to say.

Archived