LegacyGT.com

Looking at 2016 Legacy 2.5 Limited, gas mileage/maintenance question

pearrow

I am going to replace my 06 Honda Accord, 4 cylinder by the end of the 2016. I will have over 500,000 trouble free miles by October. It's been a great car but I guess it's time to replace the Honda.

I'm am seriously considering a 2016 or 2017 Legacy. I have a few questions to ask current 2016 Legacy 2.5 Limited owners.

Is the gas mileage as good as advertised? What is your actual highway gas mileage? I drive 180 miles daily so gas mileage is important to me.

How is the maintenance/reliability? I am use to my Honda where I have basically only had to keep the fluids changed.

500 thousand miles....shouldnt you just buy another Honda? :) No Subaru is going to last that long without reinvesting nearly the purchase price of the car in engine rebuilds, axles and various bits here and there.

I would say for longevity you would want to stick to an inline 4 cylinder. You simply cant beat the cheaper cost of repair should you need to and overall simpler design(fewer points of failure vs a Boxer design).

Not to mention a Subaru is AWD unless you buy a BRZ, so youll need to maintain 50% more drivetrain components. Cant buy tires in pairs all around whereas you could by fronts and rotate the older ones to the back on a FWD.

With that out of the way :lol: if you really like the styling or perhaps want to jump into a Subaru the new model looks great! but Our warranties are the best and driving 180 miles a day youll blow past the factor coverage quickly at which point youll pay a decent amount to repair the critical components.

Dude I drive 110 miles a day, but you really take the cake. You'll spend more on the leggy. If I were you I would get a proper GT car. I use my LGT for the winter but have an XK for the three other seasons. It eats up miles like a champ. Don't get me wrong, I love Subi, and a leggy is a good choice for you.

You may also may want to look at MB. I know it's not at all subi but they have an unlimited mile warrenty on pre owned ones. You could be the guy that breaks the MB bank lol

If he has managed this long with a FWD I am sure AWD is not a necessity. I love my subarus but I love them for safety and survive ability first and foremost. Truth be told not many subaru owners put that kind of mileage on their cars and the few who do don't usually keep them very long. Many common issues on these cars are as much age related as mileage related. If you decide on the legacy I would be interested in your experience after a few years.

Good luck with your choice. And for the record, I don't think GEE-OTTOs comments represent a reality we live in, while some subarus have gone through engines in a relatively short life span most are still on their original power-train. You are really just in a very small class of consumer who will quickly rack up mileage on a vehicle, which IMO is good for the vehicle as opposed to slowly putting mileage in stop and go situations.

My buddy has a '94 Honda Accord with somewhere around 800k miles on it. I was sad when he said he retired it. Was hoping it'd hit the million mark. I personally wanted to go AWD for once and I'm glad I did. No more skipping front tires along the wet/dry/snowy pavement. Well more like one front tire. Honda Civic/Accords and Toyota Corolla/Camry's will take a beating for hundreds of miles. I decided on the Legacy because of comfort, AWD, and something I didn't notice before going to a Subaru but visibility. I'm rather on the short side and it's easy to see over the hood. You're not hunched in like most cars. I'm sure the mileage is only getting better with their latest models.

I love Subaru! But with that kind of experience, I'd get another Honda. I understand your curiosity and I respect that you're considering alternatives. That's hard to beat, a 500k mi problem-free experience though.

Drove VW's since 87 they too can get costly over time. 1998 Beetle TDI. 317K miles gave it to my kid. Sat in a 2.5 Legacy while getting oil change. I test drove a 3.6R Limited and I'm in the saddle may not last for ever but I like the comfort and Saftey factor. Not fastest but satisfying

Archived